Selling collection but question on grading Messages in this topic - RSS

Ammo1231
Ammo1231

5/18/2018

Ammo1231
Ammo1231
Hi All,
I decided to sell my collection, found this site, read the grading information, and cataloged everything.
A general question on how I graded them.
Let's say I purchased these comics in the 1980's. Read them once, handling them very gingerly, put them in the plastic bag (some with cardboard backing), and stored them in the cardboard comic storage boxes. Never took them out until now. So the pages are not white, but they all have perfect edges and are obviously flat, no marks, creases, etc. Also, when I picked them up from the comic shop, I chose the best ones available. Anywho - I am wondering if assigning them a grade of near mint 9.4-9.6 is reasonable.
What would be the best way to sell the entire collection? I imagine this is a common question, read through many of the posts out there, but didn't come across anything that might help.
Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

5/20/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
I’m old school, any book I own in raw state(not slabbed) the highest I give my books are Near Mint-, a 9.2, no higher. As a buyer I rarely agree with books I buy on eBay that states books in a 9.4 and up. A fair amount of sellers or collectors give a grade like that thinking since it was just bought right of the rack it is 9.4 , 9.6 and up. It can happen but I steer away from claims like this while buying. When selling my highest raw grade is 9.2. A less chance of buyers being disappointed by the grade you give.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/21/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Ammo1231, it tough to assign a grade of 9.4 to everything because of printing differences, diamond distribution handling, the comic shop and then you. Ideally, you should look at each book, based on what you said some will be 9.4 or 9.6 or 9.8 and some will be lower. I've seen books taken from the Diamond boxes that were torn or damaged so I'm not saying it's your fault that some will be lower. I wish you the best in selling them. As with everything it will take time.
Ron
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

5/21/2018

kds_comics
kds_comics
Ammo1231 wrote:
Hi All,
I decided to sell my collection, found this site, read the grading information, and cataloged everything.
A general question on how I graded them.
Let's say I purchased these comics in the 1980's. Read them once, handling them very gingerly, put them in the plastic bag (some with cardboard backing), and stored them in the cardboard comic storage boxes. Never took them out until now. So the pages are not white, but they all have perfect edges and are obviously flat, no marks, creases, etc. Also, when I picked them up from the comic shop, I chose the best ones available. Anywho - I am wondering if assigning them a grade of near mint 9.4-9.6 is reasonable.
What would be the best way to sell the entire collection? I imagine this is a common question, read through many of the posts out there, but didn't come across anything that might help.
Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Ammo
Congrats on cataloging everything.
Respectfully suggest you double the interior of those comics for conditions. Comic backing boards are good only for five to ten years (acid absorbing material is used up). General recommendation is to replace the board every five years. If kept indoors they could go ten years or more. Another reason to check is the paper used in the early to mid 1980's was not the best quality - it can degrade if not kept on top of. I know from experience. (place sad face here) :-(

There are a few good grading guides on the web. CPG has one. Another is here https://www.nostomania.com/servlets/com.nostomania.CatPage?name=ComicsGradingMain

My opinion is a raw grade of 9.4 is reasonable. This is the condition it would be right off the retailer shelf. I am extremely hesitant in giving a 9.6 grade to a raw comic. I have only one comic I have rated 9.6 in over 3500 comics here at CPG. Defiantly think twice before grading over 9.4. Slight wear in the spine will knock a book to 9.0 or lower - depending on how many creases. I have many books, read once - back and board - they range from 9.0 to 9.4.

I wish you well here in selling comics.
(Or you could buy moire!!!)

KDS
0 link