How to know how much shipping is when selling comi Messages in this topic - RSS

boredg
boredg

5/8/2018

boredg
boredg
What's the best way to ship your comics and how much does it cost usually to ship
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/8/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
USPS is my preferred method of shipping. Some people will ship media mail because it's a book while others will not because it has ads. Media mail is typically in the $3 to 4 range while other methods are $5 and up.

When shipping there are a couple places who sell boxes that work really well for comics or that were made for comics.
0 link
solarno
solarno

5/8/2018

solarno
solarno
The best option may depend on what you are shipping. How many books at a time? How often? Where are they going? What is the value?
  • Regardless of the value I want to make sure that what I'm shipping arrives in exactly the same condition I sent it in. This means using a box when possible. I found some great adjustable boxes on Amazon that will work for one book (with a couple pieces of filler chipboard) and all the way up to 20 or so books. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BT5JDE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You have to buy 50 at a time though, so that could be cost prohibitive if you're not mailing very often.
  • I almost always use USPS Priority Mail. It's fast and includes a tracking number along with small amount of insurance. If you're entire package weights less than 16oz. you can use USPS First Class Mail, but you don't get the insurance or tracking.
  • If you don't have boxes, USPS Priority Mail Flat-Rate envelopes are a great way to go. They're free at your local post office, and you can stuff them with as much that will fit and it will ship for $6.70 to anywhere in the US. (If you are selling through eBay, they offer discounted USPS rates) If you are using envelopes you really should reinforce with sheets of cardboard to stiffen the envelope. There's nothing worse than getting a comic in the mail and having it all bent up.
  • Media Mail - Technically you cannot use Media Mail to ship comics as they contain ads. It doesn't happen often, but the USPS has the right to open Media Mail packages to confirm they meet the rather strict standards. Plus, media mail can take considerably longer to arrive. Personally, I don't find the small savings worth the hassle from a customer service standpoint.
  • When possible I will also put the books I'm shipping in a sealed plastic bag before putting them in the box/envelope. This offer another layer of protection to the books in case of moisture damage to the outer packaging. I do this even if the the books are already bagged and boarded as comic bags are not fully sealed.
  • I've found that my actual shipping costs will range from right around $3-4 for a first class mailing, depending on how far it must travel; $6.70 for Flat Rate Service; and regular Priority Mail will range between $7 to $13 depending on the weight and distance.
  • Packaging costs can range anywhere from free to up to $2 per shipment.
  • I recommend against just basic manila envelopes, or even cheap "padded" envelopes as they can be damaged very easily during shipping.

This is all moot if you are shipping internationally, or not based in the US.

Hope this helps,
Cheers!
Jim
edited by solarno on 6/4/2018
+2 link
iear
iear

5/25/2018

iear
iear
What kind of envelope would you use with a single comic book? It seems like a large cost for the buyer if I use USPS Priority Mail Flat-Rate envelope to ship in. I have thousands of Marvel comics that aren't worth more than a couple of bucks each and I have no idea how to make this a worthwhile endeavor. There are a few comics that are worth real money and that will make sense but the vast majority of my collection from the 80s is not going to fetch that much.

solarno wrote:
The best option may depend on what you are shipping. How many books at a time? How often? Where are they going? What is the value?
  • Regardless of the value I want to make sure that what I'm shipping arrives in exactly the same condition I sent it in. This means using a box when possible. I found some great adjustable boxes on Amazon that will work for one book (with a couple pieces of filler chipboard) and all the way up to 20 or so books. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BT5JDE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You have to buy 50 at a time though, so that could be cost prohibitive if you're not mailing very often.
  • I almost always use USPS Priority Mail. It's fast and includes a tracking number along with small amount of insurance. If you're entire package weights less than 16oz. you can use USPS First Class Mail, but you don't get the insurance or tracking.
  • If you don't have boxes, USPS Priority Mail Flat-Rate envelopes are a great way to go. They're free at your local post office, and you can stuff them with as much that will fit and it will ship for $6.70 to anywhere in the US. (If you are selling through eBay, they offer discounted USPS rates) If you are using envelopes you really should reinforce with sheets of cardboard to stiffen the envelope. There's nothing worse than getting a comic in the mail and having it all bent up.
Jim
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

6/4/2018

kds_comics
kds_comics
iear wrote:
What kind of envelope would you use with a single comic book? It seems like a large cost for the buyer if I use USPS Priority Mail Flat-Rate envelope to ship in. I have thousands of Marvel comics that aren't worth more than a couple of bucks each and I have no idea how to make this a worthwhile endeavor. There are a few comics that are worth real money and that will make sense but the vast majority of my collection from the 80s is not going to fetch that much.

I use an 8 1/2 by 11 inch padded mailer. Make sure cardboard or stiffener is inside the mailer. Preferably on both sides of the comic. Internal plastic bag is a good idea too. This can be as simple as a taped up grocery bag.

BTW - Media mail does have tracking - so post above is incorrect.

KDS
0 link
solarno
solarno

6/4/2018

solarno
solarno
Thanks for the correction KDS. My error on the no tracking for media mail. I don't use media mail so I didn't realize the USPS changed that a couple of years back. I’ve updated my original post.

When it comes to Media Mail, keep in mind that comic books are specifically excluded from media mail qualification. https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm Do sellers still use it, yes, but keep the following in mind from the USPS site:

• Shipping times can be up to 10 business days. That is nearly two weeks when adding in weekends.

• The USPS reserves the right to open any media mail package. This means an increased chance of damage to the contents of your package before it reaches the buyer.

• Again, comic books are excluded from qualifying as they contain ads.

• Here is the USPS page on media mail.

As far as packaging goes:

• Padded mailers work, but like KDS states, absolutely make sure you have some sort of stiffener in there. You do not want the books to be bent in transit.

• Wrapping the books in plastic helps with moisture protection. You can also then tape the plastic bag to the stiffener to help keep the books from sliding around. I also recommend making sure each book is in its own bag and board.

• For envelopes I prefer these 12x10 mailers as they are nearly identical to USPS priority mail envelopes in stiffness and quality. They offer better protection from tearing than basic padded envelopes. You will still need to use additional stiffeners to add protection. With proper protection inside you can fit up to 6 or 7 books in each one. If you are mailing frequently you can buy similar to these in bulk (100) for as little as $ .60 a piece. Just poke around amazon.

• Since it sounds like you have a lot of books you will be selling, you may also want to consider the adjustable boxes I mentioned in my original post. I use these boxes that I bought on amazon. Less than a buck a piece in bulk (50) and will work with 1 to 20 or so books with ease. Just make sure you have filler to take up any extra space.

When it comes to shipping I always try to think of the recipient. Regardless of the value of the comics I’m shipping I want to make sure that what I ship arrives in exactly the same condition I sent it in. There’s nothing worse than excitedly heading to your mailbox only to find the “package” containing those last two books to fill a run was easily bent in half to fit in your mailbox or is water damaged due to a leaky mailbox.

When I’ve done a cost analysis of selling books, it’s almost always going to be done at a loss when selling only one or two low cost books at a time. Just the labor/time alone for selling, packing, and taking to the post office will erode any profit. In my opinion, since you have so much to sell it makes sense to spend a little more on good packaging to help make sure you garner a reputation as a good seller who values the buyer and what they are purchasing.
0 link
jarhead_84
jarhead_84

10/2/2018

jarhead_84
jarhead_84
Whenever I sell comic books, I usually use a good padded envelope, with two pieces of heavy cardboard on either side, bout a half inch bigger then the book, comic taped to one and then both pieces taped together, protects the corners from getting bumped when in shipment. If its just 1 to 3 comics, it generally cost about 4 bucks, give or take a few cents, using first class priority, w shipping confirmation, then I write in big letters on both side "Do Not Bend". Sold quite a few that way thru Ebay, and haven't had a bad feedback yet. More then 5 or so, a flatrate mailer would be better, because your shipping cost are going to go up for weight, just pack the comics the same way, and use crumbled up paper or packing peanuts to cushion the books.

Ben
0 link

5/17/2022

Bumping this up since it's been 3.5 years since the last reply and all...

I'm helping a relative to part out their collection. Being experienced in selling thru my other hobbies (collectible cards of various types, concert posters/memorabilia), I'm pretty versed in shipping practices on the whole and getting things there like I'd want to receive them. But I also know enough to ask those more in the know if they have any pointers (beyond or adjusted from the above) in shipping comics.
I'm anticipating that I'll have some single issue sales but also a few larger orders as there are both individual key issues in the collection and large blocks and/or complete series runs of a few things. Is there a "best way" to ship 100+ books together? In such an instance, is it wise to isolate any keys in the run for added protection? For example, there is a full/complete run of Marvel's Star Wars (#1-107 plus the 3 annuals). Is it wise to isolate the first few issues, the Boba Fett appearances, and the finale?
For my poster hobby, there are several videos that are referenced and linked up for newbies to visually see good practices. Any chance of something like that?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
0 link
taskmaster
taskmaster

5/20/2023

taskmaster
taskmaster
Yes heaven forbidden ask someone to do a little bit better on shipping especially since you will be buying in bulk....
0 link