Any Store Owners on here? Messages in this topic - RSS

Derrickr
Derrickr

5/3/2018

Derrickr
Derrickr
Are there any store owners on here. I'm looking to talk to some 'brick & mortar' store owners.

I have a few questions for you?
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

5/3/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Used to be and currently know several in my region. What are your questions?
0 link
Derrickr
Derrickr

5/3/2018

Derrickr
Derrickr
Trying to get a rough idea of weekly sales numbers in a store. Everything I find is Diamond's monthly totals, etc..
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

5/6/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Those are going to vary quite a bit depending on the store, region, and what is for sale. It could be as low as several hundred to a few thousand. It can also vary a lot day to day. Usually new comics lead the way in sales totals. Usually Wednesday to Saturday are the busier days because that is when new content arrives and most people come in to pick it up.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

5/7/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Derrickr, there would be a lot of hesitance to tell someone they don't know their sales numbers. I've spoken with several owners and they don't usually give that information, even to trusted friends. If they have huge sales then everyone knows it's a good market to jump into or they are too big to tangle with.

I hope you can find something.
Ron
0 link
solarno
solarno

5/8/2018

solarno
solarno
I think you'll also find that many shop owners are supplementing their in-store sales with eBay (or other online) sales, which any of us who have sold on eBay knows is a complete crap-shoot. If most are like my local shop, eBay sales may bring in a nice chunk of gross dollars because you can reach a national or global market, but once you factor in labor for the listings, various seller fees, and shipping, the actual profit from them is minimal at best.

A lot will also depend on how much marketing a shop is doing, attending community events, holding in-store events, etc. My local guy's business definitely ebbs and flows with the amount of time he can spend managing his social media presence for any upcoming events the store is a part of.

But as Ron said, very few store owners will be willing to discuss their actual revenues with anyone outside of their partners, accountants, and vendors. That will be the same in any industry.
0 link