Comic covers by artists and not limited "variants" Messages in this topic - RSS

Draven68
Draven68

4/5/2018

Draven68
Draven68
While looking through my collection, I realized through out the time I've been buying comics (going on 30 years) I often bought comics, not because I necessarily liked the story line or first appearances but the fact that the cover drew me to purchasing it. My question is, do you know if comics have gone up considerably based specifically on the cover artwork? I'm not including the limited variants, i.e 1:10, 1:20, 1:50..... but just the regular cover done extremely well. If so do you have any examples? I know one example is the first artwork and cover of Jim Lee in Uncanny X-men #248, it jumped quite a bit and I was just curious if there were others.

Thanks
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

4/5/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I think there are several that have. Anything Neal Adams did is higher than everything else around it. The best example from Neal is Batman 251. There is nothing about the book that makes it great other than the fantastic cover.

There are people who follow a specific artist because they love their art. Greg Horn, Alex Ross, Adam Hughes, Ed Risso, Stanley Artgerm, Jim Lee, Mike Mignola, Gabriele Dell'Otto, Frank Miller, Amanda Conner, Babs Tarr, Rocafort, Jock, etc. Now, most of the great cover artist are doing variants so it's a rarity and artist driving the price.

I'll buy a book based on the cover sometimes. No regrets about doing it.
edited by ronbatman on 4/5/2018
+2 link
solarno
solarno

4/5/2018

solarno
solarno
Ronbatman wrote:
I'll buy a book based on the cover sometimes. No regrets about doing it.
edited by ronbatman on 4/5/2018

I'll also occasionally buy a book based on the cover. Usually because of the artist (ex. Skottie Young variants), but also sometimes just because a cover is amazing. I figure once I've read the book and tucked it into its bag and board, I'm only going to see the cover anyways.
+1 link