Harley Quinn's first official DC appearrance Messages in this topic - RSS

radiotto
radiotto

4/4/2018

radiotto
radiotto
Everyone know that Harley Quinn's first comic book appearance is in The Batman Adventure #12.

However, that book is out of canon, so shouldn't her first OFFICIAL DC universe appearance be the 1999 one-shot Batman:Harley Quinn?

Check out my CPG blog post about it, and comment below.

http://blog.comicspriceguide.com/2018/04/05/harley-quinns-1st-appearance-are-you-an-innie-or-an-outie/
edited by radiotto on 4/5/2018
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

4/5/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Batman Adventure Forever!

I have trouble being unbias because the comic shop owner was teasing me about buying Batman Adventures back when it came out. We are friends so it wasn't a big deal. Now I can laugh at him because I bought it for cover price from his store. It seems strange to me that the first appearance isn't counted as the first appearance. So your argument is that it wasn't in a regular title?
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

4/5/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Like saying a cameo doesn’t count for 1st app, only the first full app counts. Never figured that one out. I’m good, got multiple copies of both, Batman: Harley Quinn, and Batman Adventures 12. Some cover price paid and #12 was paying $25 to $36 before the big jump in value.
0 link
radiotto
radiotto

4/5/2018

radiotto
radiotto
Ronbatman wrote:
Batman Adventure Forever!

I have trouble being unbias because the comic shop owner was teasing me about buying Batman Adventures back when it came out. We are friends so it wasn't a big deal. Now I can laugh at him because I bought it for cover price from his store. It seems strange to me that the first appearance isn't counted as the first appearance. So your argument is that it wasn't in a regular title?

That is exactly it, Ron. Her first comic book appearance is certainly Batman Adventures, but her first "official" appearance is in the special. I don't think it diminishes the character in any way, though! She is one comic book bright spot from the 90s!

It is like the Global Guardians - they appeared in the Super Friends book, but were not part of the DCU until they appeared in books that were part of the continuity.

Sorrowfully, this means that the Thanos-copter is not official either, since it is from an issue of Spidey Super-Stories. Doesn't mean I don't want them to give it an Easter Egg shout out in the movie though!
edited by radiotto on 4/5/2018
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

4/9/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
I would say the "out of canon" would be bringing the character into the regular universe after a few years of being a very popular character in the all-ages universe. The official FA is BA 12 and always will be the "official" FA. The FA in the regular DCU is just a lesser FA. It not like the character dramatically changed either. It's very similar to Captain Marvel (Shazam). His FA was decades ago his first DCU wasn't until the 70's even though DC owned the rights for decades.
0 link