Writers of comic movies and buying soon to be key Messages in this topic - RSS

Draven68
Draven68

3/6/2018

Draven68
Draven68
The thought just crossed my mind that these writers would have a great jump on the gun in regards to the characters they're going to be putting into their movies, generally a year in advance. If said movie does well, the first appearances in comics for those particular heroes or villains would sky rocket! Do you think they take advantage of this? I know I would
edited by Draven68 on 3/6/2018
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

3/6/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Not sure if you realize this or not but your title can be read two ways.

"Writers of Comic Movies coming out" The movie can be coming out or the writer can be coming out.

On to the topic, if they are a collector, I bet that they do. In a similar way, I always think about a great artist who can spend a couple hours and make thousands on a sketch. In both cases, it took a lot of work to get them to this place in life.
0 link
Draven68
Draven68

3/6/2018

Draven68
Draven68
Thanks for the clarification Ron, fixed the title.

Considering they have the ability of purchasing the key issues cheap or even out of the dollar bin and the potential for a major increase, it's kind of hard to imagine them not doing it. As the most recent example, Jungle Action #6 just jumped from $32.00 to $120.00.

As a side not to your request for prices being off, I sent you an email yesterday. Just wanted to make sure you received it.

Again thanks
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

3/6/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
I'm looking into the prices right now.
0 link
Draven68
Draven68

3/6/2018

Draven68
Draven68
Much appreciated
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

3/6/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Anyone that collects and lives near a store or has interweb access can get in early on price jumps. Or should I say potential price jumps. heck even before a movie is even a gleam in a studio's eye.
0 link
radiotto
radiotto

3/6/2018

radiotto
radiotto
Draven's point is valid though...the writers and movie execs that greenlight things would know at the pitch which characters are being considered. They could certainly get a jump on the market before any of those ideas become public knowledge.

What am I saying?? People that make comic book movies don't read comic books! (Snarkiness level - 100)
0 link

3/6/2018

I was trying to be more specific and not with the idea of trying to buy every comic where a character made their first appearance. For example, when you have a writer creating a story for a comic book movie that there's 100% chance that it will be made, that writer has insight into what characters will be in it. Let's say it's the Spawn coming out in 2019. Right now other than Spawn and Twitch, we have no clue who the other main characters are going to be. So now that writer feels 'The Curse' would be a great arch enemy for Spawn in that movie. With that knowledge, it could very well make the first appearance of the Curse skyrocket, thereby allowing the writer to get a head of the upswing of the price of that comic and buy multiple copies for themselves when it can be bought cheap.
+1 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

3/7/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Well if this was the case then I suppose most writers are multi-thousandaires now. Oh wait it hasn't happened. heck not even a lot of company and industry insiders are. There must be something going on here.....
0 link
expander
expander

3/8/2018

expander
expander
two thoughts on this:

even if the writers/creators knew of this most of them i would imagine already have access to such "keys" as a part of the creative process/proofing of the books pre-release anyways and....

a good way to keep an eye on market jumps and such things would be to look at sales on the internet (as ox said) and if some random 1st app. starts jumping in price out of nowhere then it warrants a further delving into.....

just my two cents...
0 link
Draven68
Draven68

3/8/2018

Draven68
Draven68
1. I agree and that makes perfect sense... at least for those writers that actually pay attention to the comics and don't try to 'fix' anything.

2. If it weren't for the fact that there are so many key/first appearance issues out there for each series, I would say yes. I can understand doing that if you had the knowledge of a movie soon to be released (like Spawn) but still to search all key issues would be a rather daunting task. That is unless someone has the knowledge and capabilities to do any easier than I'm imagining it can be done?

Additional thoughts always welcomed
0 link