DC Comics coming to South by Southwest in Austin T Messages in this topic - RSS

colbalt91
colbalt91

3/1/2018

colbalt91
colbalt91
DC comics will be in Austin Texas during the South by Southwest celebrations in March. Supposedly they will have signings by Jim Lee and Frank Miller.... Good luck trying to get passes or whatever it takes to get in line.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

3/1/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Are you going? It looks like a great event.

This is the DC writeup for all those near Austin.

https://schedule.sxsw.com/2018/events/OE3382
0 link
colbalt91
colbalt91

3/11/2018

colbalt91
colbalt91
I went yesterday. It seems like they had kept the people down to about a hundred for each signing. Jim Lee signed by himself first. Then about two and a half hours later Jim Lee and Frank Miller signed together. Then about 3 hours later Brian Michael Bendis signed and signed everything you could put in front of him. The other guests we're limited to two autographs per person.
0 link

3/11/2018

I forgot to mention, that yesterday Frank Miller signed by himself at 7:15 p.m. . He was in a very good mood as he was at his earlier signing with Jim Lee. However, when I was in line an Asian guy and a white guy ahead of me we're discussing Frank Miller and they seemed rather distressed about his views of the world. The white guy was talking about the title of one of Frank Miller's books and both of these guys were afraid to say the title. I looked down at what the guy was referring to and he had a copy Frank Miller's The Master Race hardcover. These were two real dorks. Especially since the one guy was taking The Master Race book up to Frank Miller to get signed. Behind me was a woman from Norway who was visiting Austin and did not know of the Frank Miller signing until the last moment and she was ecstatic that she would be able to get his autograph as she said he was very big in Norway. And she mentioned what are the chances that he would visit Norway. She was expecting to be the envy of her friends when she got back to her home country. Today there were signings by Dan Jurgens, Brian Michael Bendis, Jim Lee, and Dan Jurgens(he was signing twice today). I went to the. early Dan Jurgens signing and the Brian Michael Bendis signing. The night before I had found some more stuff for Brian Michael Bendis to sign. Some old stuff like Jinx and Goldfish. When he saw these early books of his he said that they were coming with him to DC Comics. So I guess we can expect to see Jinx and Goldfish in the near future. This time around Brian Michael Bendis was suffering from allergies as it was very cold and windy as opposed to the previous day which had hit a hot temperature of 91 degrees.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

3/12/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
It sounds like you got several great autographs. Are you going to display these books now?
0 link
colbalt91
colbalt91

3/12/2018

colbalt91
colbalt91
As Miller was only giving two autographs per signing, I got a deluxe hardcover of the Elektra: Assassin signed and an All Star Batman and Robin hardcover. That was with Jim Lee, so I had Jim Lee and Frank Miller both sign the inside of the hardcover. For the second signing, which I did not know there was until that very day, I just had Frank Miller sign my autograph book and a cardboard backing board for comics. I did not bring anything else for Miller to sign. I took a bus into the center of Austin where the DC pop-up was as there was very little parking and if you did get some parking it would be pretty expensive. So I would have to have taken the bus back out got to my car and driven to my house and driven my car back to a not too far location and taking the bus back into the center of Austin. Plus I don't know how to put up images on the site.
Plus to show how bad parking was, I read a Bleeding Cool article where there writer had his car towed away as he was doing a breakfast interview.
Registering on the site they provided proved very confusing. I had accidentally registered for two sessions with Miller, thinking I only had one. I registered for one signing with Jim Lee, which was the double signing with Frank Miller, but there were two others that I was unaware of. Someone in the line told me that they had added different signings for different people at another day on the web. That might have explained the low turnout also, which was good for the people that showed up.
edited by colbalt91 on 3/12/2018
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

3/12/2018

Defiant1
Defiant1
If Miller was signing for free and there was no line, I'd walk past his table and would not even care to strike up a conversation with him. I like the Daredevil issues when he got his start, but I credit that to the inker Janson more than I do him. Everything he writes seems to have a misogynistic angle to it. His work just doesn't interest me. I've never thought he was a great artist. I think he is great with shadow and light, but his actual line work is rather ugly.
0 link