Going from collector to investor Messages in this topic - RSS

Draven68
Draven68

1/29/2018

Draven68
Draven68
I've been leaning more towards investing and I know one of the best investments are in first time appearances of characters. Through majority of my life I've always been drawn to the artwork on the covers and comic over the story line which to much of my dismay, a major hit or miss on having any additional value after purchasing. When you are looking into investments, what are the 3 most important things you look for in a comic?

Now that I'm trying to invest, mine would be:

1. 1st appearance
2. quality/grade of comic
3. rarity
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

1/29/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
If you're only looking to invest, then I would change rarity for desirability. The first appearance of Deadpool isn't rare but it's very desirable. Just a thought
+1 link
Draven68
Draven68

1/29/2018

Draven68
Draven68
Ronbatman wrote:
If you're only looking to invest, then I would change rarity for desirability. The first appearance of Deadpool isn't rare but it's very desirable. Just a thought

Thanks, bought this one when it first came out. Unfortunately only got a 9.0 when I had it graded by CGC
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

1/30/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
I have learned that just buying what I like works best. "Investing" is too much work and you will almost always buy a majority of book that will be slow in appreciating. The way I would invest, if I had the money, is in the "blue chip" stock books. Basically most of the super hero books from 1930's to about 1961. After that keys in high grade only. Rarity can help but there are plenty of very rare books that are not worth all that much (even though they will sell when the time comes and you should make a profit). Ones desires also do not translate into big dollars. Investing in what is in demand is the best way to invest even if you may not be all that interested in the book. You also have to be ready to spend money to make it. Just trying to buy what may be the up and coming hit it gonna cost you a bundle but buying one that is established or starting on it's way can also be costly but it can still make you money. For example, a few years back now I purchased an NYX #3, raw, for $450 CAD, I got it pressed and graded and sold it for for $940 USD (just over $1000 CAD). So knowing the market and spending a bit of money can turn profit too and in not all that much time.

I wish you luck in your adventure.
0 link