Question on Golden Age Book Messages in this topic - RSS

comfan
comfan

1/29/2018

comfan
comfan
I have a Yellow jacket comics #7 printed in January 1946. It has only one staple in the middle of the book with holes or other signs of any other staples. My questions is this a defect or something common of age an if a defect how bad of one?
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

1/29/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
comfan wrote:
I have a Yellow jacket comics #7 printed in January 1946. It has only one staple in the middle of the book with holes or other signs of any other staples. My questions is this a defect or something common of age an if a defect how bad of one?

Clarification - Did you mean, "no holes or other signs of any other staples"?
0 link
comfan
comfan

1/30/2018

comfan
comfan
Yes that's what i meant
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

1/30/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
That would be a production error if there are no other holes in the book. If you were getting it graded by CGC you might request a "qualified" grade. I've seen that before in older books but it's not what I would consider common. I hope that helps.
Ron
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

1/30/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Ronbatman wrote:
That would be a production error if there are no other holes in the book. If you were getting it graded by CGC you might request a "qualified" grade. I've seen that before in older books but it's not what I would consider common. I hope that helps.
Ron

That is a bit of misinformation. There were a number of publishers that only used one staple in the period around and after the war. If the staple is placed in the centre of the spine and no other staple holes are present then it is likely they published with one staple. If the staple is off centre then likely it was a production error. I believe Fawcett's and Timely books of this period were publishers that manufactured their books with one staple around this time.
edited by oxbladder on 1/30/2018
edited by oxbladder on 1/30/2018
0 link
comfan
comfan

1/31/2018

comfan
comfan
the staple is in the center of the book, sorry to not have clarified that. Thank you for help.Toast
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

1/31/2018

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
You may also want to check on other forums such as CBCS or CGC. There are usually a few GA collectors on those forums that should be able to confirm that your book was bound with a single staple or not. I just know enough to say that it was done and confirm a few publishers that practiced it.

EDIT: Scrap that here is a CGC graded copy of that book and ... one staple.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/yellowjacket-comics-7-charlton-1946-cgc-vf-nm-90-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/121320-12475.s#
edited by oxbladder on 1/31/2018
0 link
comfan
comfan

2/1/2018

comfan
comfan
thanks a lot. glad to know it's not a defect
edited by comfan on 2/1/2018
0 link