Have you also found wide discrepancies in CPG values vs. actual sale prices?

Yes: 7
No: 1

Why are some title's values so grossly overvalued? Messages in this topic - RSS

zanoskex
zanoskex

1/13/2018

zanoskex
zanoskex
Hi,

This has bugged me for awhile. Why are some titles so insanely overvalued, when they're selling for so much less on sites like eBay? The difference in "collectible" value and actual buyer price can't be that crazy.

Example:

Superman Unchained #1 Sketch Variant CGC 9.8
eBay sold one 11/25/17 for approx. $170
CPG has the same title vauled at $1792

That's an insane margin. Either we're paying WAY to little for some titles, or CPG is way off on values. I'd be interested in knowing a bit about the formula that's used to generate these values in the first place.

I have more examples, but here's just one more to further demonstrate irregularity.

DK III Master Race #1 Jim Lee 1:500 Variant CGC 9.8
eBay sold one approx. $380.00 11/13/17
CPG: $4,399.50

Can someone please explain, because this makes me feel like CPG doesn't track all titles evenly. Some seem to be updated regularly, while others like the above get overlooked for years. I want to use CPG as my go-to for values, but I can't do that when so many titles are so off base.

Let me know. Thanks.
edited by zanoskex on 1/13/2018
edited by zanoskex on 1/15/2018
-1 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

1/13/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
That’s a lot of books to continually look at, well over 100,000 books and counting. It is not likely this site/company has over 50 paid workers, just guessing. I agree with all of your points though.
0 link
iron_puppy
iron_puppy

1/13/2018

iron_puppy
iron_puppy
I agree with all that, but it goes the other way too. Small print stuff, independants and some older stuff (thinking Canadian Whites comics in particular) are listed well below what they get when they manage to make in onto the market.

All CGC stuff tends to be inflated from 9.6 up. I ignore that price on the site.
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

1/13/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
True, I also mostly skip the values of the graded values. Some are close but most of those are to far off. I believe site is trying to fix that also. I always use auction sites to see most accurate prices for raw or graded prices. Like Oxbladder always says the guides are just a snapshot of time in values, ever changing....well something like that.
0 link
zanoskex
zanoskex

1/15/2018

zanoskex
zanoskex
Thanks for all your input, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I'd be interested in CPG staff's response, if they're able to follow up.

iron_puppy wrote:
I agree with all that, but it goes the other way too. Small print stuff, independants and some older stuff (thinking Canadian Whites comics in particular) are listed well below what they get when they manage to make in onto the market.

All CGC stuff tends to be inflated from 9.6 up. I ignore that price on the site.

I agree that it works both ways. I have a super rare graded CGC 5.5 that's valued on here for $8.80, but the last (and only other) one that sold was a 4.0 and that went for over $800.00. Small print is something I hadn't considered either; I can only imagine the price variances on some of those titles.

jokerbangedquinn wrote:
That’s a lot of books to continually look at, well over 100,000 books and counting. It is not likely this site/company has over 50 paid workers, just guessing. I agree with all of your points though.

I understand it's a small staff, and the site is free to use in the first place, but this has always been my go-to for values and I'd like to keep it that way. Wide price differences like the ones mentioned above make it hard to justify investment value to folks who aren't just straight fans or collectors themselves. As a collector, investor, and salesman, I try to use this site to build a fairly detailed background of the titles I've acquired, with records reflecting rises and falls in price since I obtained them. Again though, free site, so I guess I should just try to work with what I've got =/

jokerbangedquinn wrote:
True, I also mostly skip the values of the graded values. Some are close but most of those are to far off. I believe site is trying to fix that also. I always use auction sites to see most accurate prices for raw or graded prices. Like Oxbladder always says the guides are just a snapshot of time in values, ever changing....well something like that.

Haven't heard of them before, I'll check it out, thanks.
0 link

1/15/2018

I'm on staff at Comics Price Guide so I know at least some of the pricing issues. (My primary job is writing for the blog, newsletter, comic summaries and working on search engine optimizing.) There are several things that I think need to be discussed.
1. There are over 1,000,000 comic books in our database.
A team of 50 couldn't keep up with every price and every variant on all issues. That's why we rely on some local comic shops, our research and our members. We need positive, constructive input on pricing from everyone. This is ultra important to us that we get the pricing right. For example, we've looked extensively at Amazing Spiderman comic sales in every grade, raw and graded and from various sources to get an accurate picture of the market right now. Changes coming soon!
2. We have been meeting about the value of the graded books
The value of graded books has changed over the years. The wow factor has worn off, the novelty is gone. So things need to go down in value. We've seen some interesting changes based on our research. Some things are impossible to capture. Like the highest grade of a single comic can go for a ridiculous amount. Other things we can capture, for early Amazing Spiderman's there is virtually no difference in pricing between a 4.5 and a 5.0. Weird but consistently true.
3. The more specialized the book, the more we need your help.
New Mutants 98 is obvious, we got that. The third printing variant of US 1 superstar edition with chrome foil cover only sold on Thursday afternoon, we need your help. (exaggerating just a bit)

Summary -
We need your help to be better. If you send us real-world data or proof of value we will change the value in the price guide to match. This year we have launched a new design, have an app being built, are building a feedback system, and a new storefront option, and more. We aren't trying to be just ok.

Thanks,
Ron
edited by ronbatman on 1/15/2018
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

1/15/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
It would help if I signed in first. Sorry
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

1/16/2018

Defiant1
Defiant1
Ronbatman wrote:
It would help if I signed in first. Sorry

It logs me out even if I have signed in.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

1/17/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Defiant1, if you check the box "remember me" it will keep you logged in. Basically, the site resets everytime we upload a change, by clicking the "remember me" button it will keep you logged in.
0 link
zanoskex
zanoskex

1/17/2018

zanoskex
zanoskex
I'm on staff at Comics Price Guide so I know at least some of the pricing issues. (My primary job is writing for the blog, newsletter, comic summaries and working on search engine optimizing.) There are several things that I think need to be discussed.
1. There are over 1,000,000 comic books in our database.
A team of 50 couldn't keep up with every price and every variant on all issues. That's why we rely on some local comic shops, our research and our members. We need positive, constructive input on pricing from everyone. This is ultra important to us that we get the pricing right. For example, we've looked extensively at Amazing Spiderman comic sales in every grade, raw and graded and from various sources to get an accurate picture of the market right now. Changes coming soon!
2. We have been meeting about the value of the graded books
The value of graded books has changed over the years. The wow factor has worn off, the novelty is gone. So things need to go down in value. We've seen some interesting changes based on our research. Some things are impossible to capture. Like the highest grade of a single comic can go for a ridiculous amount. Other things we can capture, for early Amazing Spiderman's there is virtually no difference in pricing between a 4.5 and a 5.0. Weird but consistently true.
3. The more specialized the book, the more we need your help.
New Mutants 98 is obvious, we got that. The third printing variant of US 1 superstar edition with chrome foil cover only sold on Thursday afternoon, we need your help. (exaggerating just a bit)

Summary -
We need your help to be better. If you send us real-world data or proof of value we will change the value in the price guide to match. This year we have launched a new design, have an app being built, are building a feedback system, and a new storefront option, and more. We aren't trying to be just ok.

Thanks,
Ron
edited by ronbatman on 1/15/2018

Ron - Awesome reply. Thank you. That's about what I anticipated, but it's nice to hear that you're aware of these issues. Also exciting to hear that more updates are in the works!

One major follow up question... what is the best/easiest way to submit feedback about titles that have these distinct discrepancies, such as the ones I noted in my original post? I'd be happy to submit feedback when I catch stuff like this, but I'm not aware of how.

Is there an easy to fill out form I can submit? I think something like that, that's easily accessible and simple to fill out, would inspire members to reach out more often.

Thanks again!
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

1/18/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
That's a great question. I've opened a discussion with the person in charge of all our pricing, Rick, but we haven't come up with a good solution yet. I don't want to surprise him with several pricing requests. So if you have any pricing problems, discrepancies just send them to me. ron@comicspriceguide.com When we come up with a better solution (a submission form maybe?), I'll update all of you. Hopefully in the next day or two.

Blatant Newsletter Plug - If you want to keep up with all of our upcoming changes please join the newsletter https://www.facebook.com/ComicsPriceGuide/app/123077107711598/
0 link
iron_puppy
iron_puppy

1/20/2018

iron_puppy
iron_puppy
Awesome Ronbatman! (just as much fun to type as say...)

I will be forwarding you a list I put on the forum a while ago. Cheers!
0 link
zanoskex
zanoskex

2/24/2018

zanoskex
zanoskex
Ronbatman wrote:
That's a great question. I've opened a discussion with the person in charge of all our pricing, Rick, but we haven't come up with a good solution yet. I don't want to surprise him with several pricing requests. So if you have any pricing problems, discrepancies just send them to me. ron@comicspriceguide.com When we come up with a better solution (a submission form maybe?), I'll update all of you. Hopefully in the next day or two.

Hi Ron,

Been a few weeks so I figured I should follow up. Any idea when we can expect some sort of response to this topic?

Thanks again for looking into this.
0 link
expander
expander

2/26/2018

expander
expander
there is an option when adding issues to your collection to record how much you paid for it is there a way for cpg to use that data in the compilation of it's values?

What better way to know how much it's worth if it's already there what was paid. High or low it will show the willing to pay/what a deal factor right from the get go issue by issue regardless of popularity.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

2/26/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
We care deeply about the integrity of our values and constantly want to improve. That means that some comic books will drop in value and some will rise. With that in mind, I have some good news related to the pricing. I've been given access to change the pricing for any book in our database. (which is a lot) So you can continue to send me proof that a book is incorrectly valued and I will research it and make a decision. Ideally, you will send me links to eBay, Heritage, Comiclink, etc for finished or sold books.

If you're an admin you can change pricing and I'll go into the cue and approve them if warranted.

We are working on breaking apart the graded and raw books so that they will be independent of each other from a pricing perspective. Additionally, the scale that books use is changing based on extensive research, the era of the book and desirability.

I'll add a new post that we can talk about pricing changes.
Ron
+1 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

3/1/2018

kds_comics
kds_comics
zanoskex wrote:
Hi,

This has bugged me for awhile. Why are some titles so insanely overvalued, when they're selling for so much less on sites like eBay? The difference in "collectible" value and actual buyer price can't be that crazy.

Example:

Superman Unchained #1 Sketch Variant CGC 9.8
eBay sold one 11/25/17 for approx. $170
CPG has the same title vauled at $1792

That's an insane margin. Either we're paying WAY to little for some titles, or CPG is way off on values. I'd be interested in knowing a bit about the formula that's used to generate these values in the first place.

I have more examples, but here's just one more to further demonstrate irregularity.

DK III Master Race #1 Jim Lee 1:500 Variant CGC 9.8
eBay sold one approx. $380.00 11/13/17
CPG: $4,399.50

Can someone please explain, because this makes me feel like CPG doesn't track all titles evenly. Some seem to be updated regularly, while others like the above get overlooked for years. I want to use CPG as my go-to for values, but I can't do that when so many titles are so off base.

Let me know. Thanks.
edited by zanoskex on 1/13/2018
edited by zanoskex on 1/15/2018

As I am sure you know - always check more than one source on prices. CPG is not infallible.
If you find all prices are that high - immediately send the comic to me - I will pay you a much more reasonable price for it.

Seriously - remember there is a cycle on this hot items.. Black Panther comics will soon be on the down cycle.
Just my opinion
KDS
0 link
zanoskex
zanoskex

3/4/2018

zanoskex
zanoskex
expander wrote:
there is an option when adding issues to your collection to record how much you paid for it is there a way for cpg to use that data in the compilation of it's values?

What better way to know how much it's worth if it's already there what was paid. High or low it will show the willing to pay/what a deal factor right from the get go issue by issue regardless of popularity.

This is an awesome idea! I always enter data for how much I paid, so if CPG could aggregate that information they'd have a huge head start for real-world values.
0 link
zanoskex
zanoskex

3/4/2018

zanoskex
zanoskex
Ronbatman wrote:
We care deeply about the integrity of our values and constantly want to improve. That means that some comic books will drop in value and some will rise. With that in mind, I have some good news related to the pricing. I've been given access to change the pricing for any book in our database. (which is a lot) So you can continue to send me proof that a book is incorrectly valued and I will research it and make a decision. Ideally, you will send me links to eBay, Heritage, Comiclink, etc for finished or sold books.

If you're an admin you can change pricing and I'll go into the cue and approve them if warranted.

We are working on breaking apart the graded and raw books so that they will be independent of each other from a pricing perspective. Additionally, the scale that books use is changing based on extensive research, the era of the book and desirability.

I'll add a new post that we can talk about pricing changes.
Ron

Awesome Ron, thank you for taking the charge on this. I've noticed that you have a new thread out to collect this information. I'll post there as I come across discrepancies.
0 link
zanoskex
zanoskex

3/4/2018

zanoskex
zanoskex
kds_comics wrote:
As I am sure you know - always check more than one source on prices. CPG is not infallible.
If you find all prices are that high - immediately send the comic to me - I will pay you a much more reasonable price for it.

Seriously - remember there is a cycle on this hot items.. Black Panther comics will soon be on the down cycle.
Just my opinion
KDS

Agreed, always double check your sources. Ron has provided us with a pretty awesome solution, we all just have to pitch in with the data.

I also agree books swing WAY more than they ever have, so it's hard to get consistent values due to movie releases and all. We, the community, just have to keep at it.
0 link