Childhood Comic Collection Messages in this topic - RSS

Beaux1980
Beaux1980

12/28/2017

Beaux1980
Beaux1980
Hey y'all. I just put my collection on here and it says its worth is around $1,348 with 229 issues. The best are Amazing Spiderman 300 and a few others with some decent value. Would it be out of the question to ask $1000 for the whole thing? Would anybody bite on that? If not, what would a fair package price be for that?

A little breakdown:

$1270 of it is from Marvel.

Nothing more valuable than Amazing Spiderman 300
Others are:
Amazing Spiderman 361 & 344.
Punisher #4
New Mutants 87B

I started collecting in the late 80's and collected for about 5 years I'd guess. I bagged every one of them and boarded the valuable ones (back then). I never read them (usually), so most have never even been opened. They are pretty much in perfect condition (a majority). I did trade and buy some older ones, or got some older ones from family back then. Spiderman 300 would probably grade out in the mid 9's, as it was one I "invested" in as a kid.

Let me know what a decent "mark down" would be for a collection price that is probably 98% 9.6 or better. Thanks for the advice.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

12/28/2017

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
When you're selling your collection it helps to think in terms of time and work involved vs money. There is a balancing act between those things depending on your goals.

If you want more money then it will take more time and work.
If you want less time and work then you will get less money.

An Amazing Spiderman #300 will sell very quickly by itself but some of your other books will take much longer to sell. I cannot really offer advice on a decent markdown.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

12/28/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
Collectors are extremely picky on condition, so simply stating that you bagged them and never read them is not adequate to determine the grade. Any slight spine crease or "non-square" corner affects condition. It's not uncommon to see VF or worse condition comics on a new comics rack depending upon how the retailer handled them. To get the most value, you're going to have to actually grade the higher dollar books with a grading guide and go from there. People buying a bulk collection are going to base what they are willing to pay on the higher dollar comics and how fast they think they can sell them. If you want to get the highest return for the full collection in a relatively short time period, your best bet is probably selling to a retailer for about 25% of guide value. If you want to get everything the collection is worth, you'll need to accurately grade the higher dollar comic and sell those separately. That will stick you with comics that are very hard to sell for any price. You'd probably have to make small sets of similar books and hope to get complete sell through. I really don't think anyone is going to give you $1,000 for a set of books that guide at $1350. Collectors who want the books are living on a tight budget. If they had that much money to spend, they are going to look for better bargains without an immediate dent to the wallet. They buy them in smaller lots as they could afford it. If selling comics was easy, I'd be buying a house with the worth of my collection.
0 link
Beaux1980
Beaux1980

12/29/2017

Beaux1980
Beaux1980
Defiant1 wrote:
If selling comics was easy, I'd be buying a house with the worth of my collection.
smile

This is all very good advice. I appreciate it. What is the best venue for a bulk sale?
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

1/1/2018

Defiant1
Defiant1
You could try a local comic shop in your area. You could send a list to https://www.mycomicshop.com/ , but I have no experience selling to them.
0 link