DC Elseworlds Messages in this topic - RSS

shoggoth80
shoggoth80

2/4/2016

shoggoth80
shoggoth80
Hey all. New to the site. Checked the DC forum, saw two threads. Figured I would chime in, see if anyone wants to chatter back.

I've liked comics pretty much as long as I have been able to read (Superman was awesome when I was like 5). I still have some in my collection that I picked up when I was 10 or 11 or so. Some I've purchased recently were ones I read when I was younger, but never managed to pick up. I'm pretty casual, and tend to get things that just strike my fancy in one way or another.

I've been digging on the Elseworlds stuff lately. I know not all of it is considered good. What I have read so far is generally interesting. Neat to see a character that you are familiar with, and enjoy take on a slightly different form, and context.
Recent reads and acquisitions include:
Batman: Gotham By Gaslight
Batman: Master of the Future
Superman: Red Son
Superman: Speeding Bullets
Batman: I, Joker
Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham
Batman: Holy Terror
Batman: Year 100
Batman: Castle of the Bat

Yes. I like Batman. Lol. I like Superman well enough too. The Dark Knight Returns is probably one of my favorite all time Bats stories. My sister got that for me ages ago as a birthday gift (currently boxed up, because of anticipated move in the near future). I want to grab a copy of Kingdom Come. Also interested in Batman: Vampire (the collected volume), Batman: Nosferatu, Batman: Gotham Noir. Thrillkiller, and possibly Two Faces. I missed a lot of these as they were coming out, they seem creative, and not terribly difficult to acquire in terms of "completing" a collection. Interested in also reading The Nail, and Golden Age.

Anyone else dig these? Recommendations? Avoids?
+2 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

2/4/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Welcome! It's been a long time since I read any Elseworlds stuff so I cannot recommend anything. I have quite a few Elseworlds issues. I think I bought the entire run of the Elseworlds annuals.

I think it would be cool for Elseworlds to come back someday... except nowadays they would have to write stories about what could have been if they hadn't futzed up the DCU with Flashpoint (AKA Flushpoint)
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

2/4/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Oxbladder wrote:
Welcome! It's been a long time since I read any Elseworlds stuff so I cannot recommend anything. I have quite a few Elseworlds issues. I think I bought the entire run of the Elseworlds annuals.

I think it would be cool for Elseworlds to come back someday... except nowadays they would have to write stories about what could have been if they hadn't futzed up the DCU with Flashpoint (AKA Flushpoint)

Love Elseworlds, I have a couple of those annuals (don't remember which ones though).
Do you remember which ones they were Ox?
I missed the whole Flashpoint thing...The movie was O.k. Lol
0 link
CapnDoug
CapnDoug
Administrator

2/5/2016

CapnDoug
CapnDoug
Administrator
I remember JLA: The Nail being outstanding. Basically, the premise is that the Kents run over a nail and get a flat tire, so they never find baby Superman's rocket. So, it's the rest of the League in a world where there never was a Superman. Alan Davis did both the words and pictures, so it's got that going for it, too. There are two 3 issue miniseries, but the second one isn't as good.
0 link
shoggoth80
shoggoth80

2/5/2016

shoggoth80
shoggoth80
Yeah, The Nail seemed like an interesting enough premise to take a spin off of. I have to admit that I am partially tempted by Superman's Metropolis and Batman Nosferatu because I have seen, and like both of those movies, and early German expressionist film is cool in my book. I am glad this topic generated a bit of banter. Like I said, I've been pretty casual in terms of collecting, but I like the medium, and most of the stories well enough (superhero comics, graphic novels etc.). I did enjoy Kal-El as the Bat though... a fairly ruthless rendition, even for the Batman.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

2/5/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Gilgandra wrote:
Oxbladder wrote:

Love Elseworlds, I have a couple of those annuals (don't remember which ones though).
Do you remember which ones they were Ox?
I missed the whole Flashpoint thing...The movie was O.k. Lol

I think pretty much every ongoing title had an Elseworlds annual that first year.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

2/5/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
shoggoth80 wrote:
Hey all. New to the site. Checked the DC forum, saw two threads. Figured I would chime in, see if anyone wants to chatter back.

I've liked comics pretty much as long as I have been able to read (Superman was awesome when I was like 5). I still have some in my collection that I picked up when I was 10 or 11 or so. Some I've purchased recently were ones I read when I was younger, but never managed to pick up. I'm pretty casual, and tend to get things that just strike my fancy in one way or another.

I've been digging on the Elseworlds stuff lately. I know not all of it is considered good. What I have read so far is generally interesting. Neat to see a character that you are familiar with, and enjoy take on a slightly different form, and context.
Recent reads and acquisitions include:
Batman: Gotham By Gaslight
Batman: Master of the Future
Superman: Red Son
Superman: Speeding Bullets
Batman: I, Joker
Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham
Batman: Holy Terror
Batman: Year 100
Batman: Castle of the Bat

Yes. I like Batman. Lol. I like Superman well enough too. The Dark Knight Returns is probably one of my favorite all time Bats stories. My sister got that for me ages ago as a birthday gift (currently boxed up, because of anticipated move in the near future). I want to grab a copy of Kingdom Come. Also interested in Batman: Vampire (the collected volume), Batman: Nosferatu, Batman: Gotham Noir. Thrillkiller, and possibly Two Faces. I missed a lot of these as they were coming out, they seem creative, and not terribly difficult to acquire in terms of "completing" a collection. Interested in also reading The Nail, and Golden Age.

Anyone else dig these? Recommendations? Avoids?

I had Holy Terror & i sure i've got Speeding Bullets somewhere upset
I should have more of them but i too missed out on alot during my close to a decade hiatus. You've given me a another reason now to collect some more. Thanks for the inspiration shoggoth smile

By the way how was Red Son (looked it up), Sounds like a crazy read indeed!

Anyhoo! Here's a couple more...
The Batman of Arkham.
Batman: League of Batman 1 & 2.
JLA: Riddle of the Beast.
edited by Gilgandra on 2/5/2016
0 link
shoggoth80
shoggoth80

2/6/2016

shoggoth80
shoggoth80
Red Son was a really good one. Of all the alternate origin stories, that one was the most intriguing. As much a political commentary as it was a Superman story. I should go reread it again. It is very much a self contained story.
edited by shoggoth80 on 2/6/2016
0 link
ladybug5753iey
ladybug5753iey

2/7/2016

ladybug5753iey
ladybug5753iey
I never collected any Batman, until Elseworlds came out. He seemed perfect for all the many eras and gothic scenarios the writers were creating. After break from comics (for financial reasons) until about 2010, I was pretty bummed to see they discontinued Elseworlds many years before. Maybe it wouldn't have lasted 20+ years, but there is still potential for more, and I do hope they bring it back someday.
All my faves have already been suggested.
0 link
shoggoth80
shoggoth80

2/7/2016

shoggoth80
shoggoth80
I'm not sure which to pick up on payday. Lol. There's a lot of good stuff out there. Looking hard at Kingdom Come, The Nail, Golden Age in terms of Elseworlds. Also looking at titles that fall into what would have been traditional cannon, as well as the Earth One Batman volumes, and volumes 2 and 3 of Superman Earth One. I'm a pretty fast reader, so burning through volumes isn't a daunting task. Lol.
0 link
beav62
beav62

2/11/2016

beav62
beav62
I like the Elseworlds stuff. There was also a year where DC did all of their annuals as Elseworlds. Some interesting stuff in there as well. 1996 maybe.
0 link