Opinions wanted... Messages in this topic - RSS

kalilum
kalilum

11/30/2017

kalilum
kalilum
My husband inherited a ton of comic books and has put me in charge of selling them. So I am doing my research on grading them, and figuring out how to sell them. Here are the first couple that I am working with (these are a couple that we have duplicates of so they are my practice rounds. Anyways what would you rate them at? (I have a number that I am thinking I just want to see someone else guess) We have a lot of the Silver age comics that are potentially worth a lot, so I want to get this right. Thanks for any help you can provide.
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

11/30/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
When asking to grade a book, having the front and back cover scan helps to grade a book. More scans the better and yep, inside pages help.

#51, only seeing front cover. 7.0
#50, only seeing front cover 6.0 to 6.5
0 link
kalilum
kalilum

12/1/2017

kalilum
kalilum
Thanks, that was just about my opinion as well.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

12/5/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Based on the scans shown I roughly GUESS the grade on 50 to be 4.5 to 5.5 (the stain and the tanning edges are big hits on grade for me and if the edges are not supple then 3.5 to 4.0). On 51 my guess is 7.0 ish could be higher could be lower. Other factors to consider:

Back cover- is it clean and free from defects
Corners - are they sharp/square, or is there some level of wear?
Front and back covers- are their any dents, impressions colour wear/scratches
Inside - are the interiors free from writing, are there cuts or tears, are all the pages there

other considerations, writing anywhere on the book, colour touching, staples (rusted, stained, etc), are all pages attached to the staples, wear around the staples, staining (of any kind), is the paper in good shape (page colour can tell you this), is the book giving off any odours (smoke, acidic,etc)

All sorts of things can impact grade and it is best for selling to be fairly conservative because people really hate over grading (being loose) with grading. For the most valuable sending them to a third party grader such as CGC or CBCS is an option to consider as graded books can realize higher prices in the market.
edited by oxbladder on 12/5/2017
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

12/6/2017

kds_comics
kds_comics
kalilum wrote:
My husband inherited a ton of comic books and has put me in charge of selling them. So I am doing my research on grading them, and figuring out how to sell them. Here are the first couple that I am working with (these are a couple that we have duplicates of so they are my practice rounds. Anyways what would you rate them at? (I have a number that I am thinking I just want to see someone else guess) We have a lot of the Silver age comics that are potentially worth a lot, so I want to get this right. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I concur with Joker - looks to be about 7.0 on the first one and 6.0 on the second. This is just from looking at the cover. If the interior is faded like in the first picture - this will bring them down to about a 5.0

Suggest checking out grading guide here
Comic Book Grading - learn the scale and how to apply it

KDS Comics
0 link