Inhumans for the new reader...guidance please? Messages in this topic - RSS

gopherbadgerfamily
gopherbadgerfamily

1/29/2016

I'll come right out and admit...I'm new to the super hero realm of comics...but for my first venture, I think I want to be different and hitch my initial wagon to the Inhumans. From TV...to possibly a movie?...they seem to be growing in popularity, a storyline/concept I think sounds interesting, but unfortunately my local comic book shop only has Uncanny Inhumans 1 and 4, and All New Inhumans 2 and 3. Please understand that it's not economically feasible for me to get every comic they're featured in (but man, wouldn't that be great?!), so I'm wondering if this apparent resurgence in 2014/2015 is something I can hop on, get familiar with, and it'll feed into the future storylines for this group? From what I've gathered, a good place to start is to locate Inhuman 1 - 14, the Annual, and the Special from 2014 - 2015. That will feed into 2015 Uncanny Inhumans, and I need to plug those holes with issues 0, 2, and 3, AND then get the 2016 All New Inhumans issue 1 to help follow the movement of Nu Inhumans that coincides with Uncanny. So are those two titles (Uncanny / All New) the only Inhumans' centered titles running currently? All the others appearances seem to be tied into all the other characters' storylines? Fantastic Four appears to be the beginning, but then there's a series that started volume 1 in 1975, but volume 2 wasn't until 1998, and then volume 6 in 2003? It's very hard for me to follow, and intimidating, and that's why I've stuck with the comics I read. Then there are all the mini series, or one shots, or runs that I honestly don't know if they're relevant or limited, i.e. recently Attilan Rising...saw some places say it's ongoing and essential...then saw some say it's 5 issues and ended in 2015 with no lead-ins to anything? Again...super confusing/overwhelming...so I guess the long story longer is...am I on the right track with my theory of 2014 on...since that seems to be the fabled, "reboot," I've heard about...or is this task too daunting? Thank you so much to anyone/everyone in advance for your insight!!! - Matt
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

1/29/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
There really isn't a right or wrong method. Especially when you are jumping in on a team that has been around for over 50 years. Generally thought the very first appearance is the one that is always going to move the most in value and that is regardless of whether they use the original or current lineup in the TV show or movie.

What I suggest is just fill out the current series you are reading then start working on the older series and appearances when you get the time, money, or interest. I would also work on eventually getting Fantastic Four #45 (1965) which has the first appearance of the Inhumans (Medusa showed up earlier in issue 36 of FF). Mini-series or event books are hit and miss and in most cases you do not need to read them.

Another option if you just want to read the older stuff or do not care if you necessarily have to have the individual issues is find and buy trade paperbacks or digital copies.
edited by Oxbladder on 1/29/2016
0 link
gopherbadgerfamily
gopherbadgerfamily

1/31/2016

Thank you Oxbladder! When you say work on the older series...are you referring to the 1975 start up?
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

1/31/2016

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Personally, I would probably start there since those issue will not get any cheaper. The later series will probably not appreciate in value for some time yet as they are not that old. As I mentioned too, you might want to keep your eye out for Fantastic Four (vol.1) #45 as that is the first appearance of the original Inhumans (and #36 has the first appearance of Medusa)
0 link