Concerned about storing high value comics Messages in this topic - RSS

ComicsWarrior
ComicsWarrior

8/29/2017

ComicsWarrior
ComicsWarrior
I've grown my comic graded collection over the years and have some relatively valuable comics. The comics are worth north of 250k; which I have it insured and stored in a climate controlled room. Do you guys recommend keeping them here in long boxes or transferring them offsite? I just worry that one day something will happen to them and I cannot continue to increase the coverage as the price for the insurance continues to go up. In fact, the insurance for the home is like 1400.00 a year, the insurance on the comics is 1200 a year.

Some of the comics are:

Complete graded set of Amazing Spiderman 1 - 30 CGC 5.5 + (unrestored)
Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 4.5
Superman 1 CGC 7.5 (restored slightly)
Batman 1 CGC 8.5 (restored slightly)
Detective Comics 1 CGC 6
Archie Comics 9.2 (restored slightly)
Superman 100 CGC 9.8
Superman 50 CGC 8
X-Men 1 CGC 8.5
Captain America 1 CGC 4.5
The Avengers 1 CGC 7.5

There are other ones, I am just not remembering all of them right now. I must have, in total 150+ graded comics. I am really just concerned with the ones mentioned above.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

8/30/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
You could transfer some offsite but the problem there is will you be able to control the climate as well as you can in your own home. I suppose you could store the most valuable books in a safety deposit box or something ... if they have ones large enough. Who do you get your comic insurance from? Perhaps look at some of the other insurance options out there. The are independent insurers such as CollectInsure that specialize in collectibles and their coverage may be better and possibly cheaper that going through a home insurer. I know, for example, you do not have to have appraisals to insure with them and the coverage cover books in transport as well.
0 link
ComicsWarrior
ComicsWarrior

8/30/2017

ComicsWarrior
ComicsWarrior
I was told that comics cannot be stored in safety deposit boxes. Is this no longer true? Yes, it's currently on my Home Owners. I was thinking about transferring to Collect Insure, but I am just worried that they are not financially strong enough and would pay out should something happen. They are currently covered by Chubb, and support transportation.
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

8/30/2017

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
Not sure about the safety deposit boxes. I have just heard of some people doing this. I'm not sure how you can check Collect Insure but my understanding is that there are other independent specialized insurers out there. I suppose you could go with a storage facility but temperature controlled units are not cheap.
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

11/23/2019

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
Buying a nice safe is much cheaper.
edited by rixmaxx on 11/23/2019
+1 link