Armageddon 2001 & Alien Agenda Messages in this topic - RSS

Terry77
Terry77

5/29/2017

Terry77
Terry77
I recently collected all 4 issues of Armageddon: The Alien Agenda. I decided to re-read the Armageddon 2001 two issue event and then the mini-series to see if they were worth keeping. I found nothing that really kept my interest in any of them other than the multiple cameos of the DC western heroes in issue # 3 and what I think was a character drawn to resemble John Wayne.

So I decided to put them all in my "to sell when I get around to it" stack. But first I checked the value of them on this website and found that my copy of Armageddon 2001 # 1 is the 3rd printing Silver Series. Can anyone tell me why this issue is so special as I thought a third printing would be valued less.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
0 link
dav1
dav1

5/29/2017

dav1
dav1
low print run maybe
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/29/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
There has been an increased interest in later printings. They used to be deemed inferior and people avoided purchasing them. The collective attitude that later printings were inferior and less desirable has made them more difficult to find... especially in high grade. For this reason, there is a wave of new collectors that collect them because they are an obscure find. Also, in the 90's, Marvel would give their later printings a Gold ink to make them different and appear to be a Premium book. It appears that DC used a silver ink on your comic. This comic has two things going for it. It's a later printing which has become more popular among collectors. It's got a silver ink that makes it different for collectors and that makes it very popular for collectors of the silver/gold ink variants. The fact that it was a less popular titles is probably helping the value. The silver/gold ink variant collectors probably need this to complete their set and it's likely harder to find. It would have an abnormal demand because it's an abnormal comic. I imagine that it's probably not a good story, but it's an interesting oddity and it completes a set of the books treated with a special metallic shade of ink.
edited by Defiant1 on 5/29/2017
0 link
Terry77
Terry77

5/29/2017

Terry77
Terry77
Thanks for the information. I'm not a collector but it sounds like I lucked into a 'collectible oddity'. I looked up the value on this website for it and looks like it I should get it graded. Any idea how much it costs to get a comic graded?
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

5/29/2017

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Here is a link of two grading companies so you can look for yourself to see prices.
https://www.cbcscomics.com

https://www.cgccomics.com
edited by Jokerbangedquinn on 5/29/2017
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/29/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
I'd look it up online (eBay) to see what graded copies are selling for. If it comes back less than a 9.6, I don't think buyers are going to want to pay the extra grading fees that it would cost to get it graded. If you don't see any graded copies online, that might be a hint that it's best to just sell it like it is.
+1 link