Attachments:
image.jpeg
0 link
bnobel
bnobel

5/24/2017

bnobel
bnobel
I hope someone @ CPG addresses your missing issue report, Magic dan... I just logged in here today to check my own report from February (http://comicspriceguide.com/forum/topic6840-missing--variant-amazing-spiderman-.aspx) and nobody has responded yet. Perhaps they don't have enough volunteer administrators.

Your own missing issue report caught my eye and I wanted to reply in support of your post, with some further points for CPG to consider about breaking out Spawn #1 newsstand edition in the guide:

• Two of the three big grading companies now recognize Spawn #1 copies with UPC codes as distinct variants (denoted "Newsstand Edition" on labels now at CBCS, and PGX).
  • These UPC coded copies are dramatically harder to find than Direct Edition copies (because the vast majority of Image's sales were Direct sales lacking UPC codes... the UPC coded copies were exclusively found on newsstands).
  • And perhaps most importantly for CPG to consider: the newsstand market value has pulled apart to such a degree from the prevalent direct edition, that a distinct guide entry for the newsstand edition is absolutely merited.

Also, CPG should consider breaking out newsstand copies of Spawn #9: All three of the three big grading companies recognize copies of Spawn #9 with UPC codes as distinct variants (denoted "Newsstand Edition"). There are manufacturing differences between the newsstand edition and the direct edition that go well beyond the UPC code itself -- in the case of Spawn #9 there is an actual paper difference where direct edition copies were manufactured with expensive glossy paper, while newsstand edition copies were manufactured with cheap newsprint. Physically different paper causes CGC to "break out" these copies on census as a distinct variant.

Arguably, if CGC or CBCS is breaking out a variant, and if the market value is much higher, then CPG should absolutely have an entry for it. And, there is precedent at CPG already to make the distinction in both cases (i.e. for both Spawn #1 and Spawn #9, comparable situations exist where CPG elected to break out the newsstand copies as variants):

• ASM v2 #36 provides a precedent for Spawn #1, because CPG has a distinct entry for the more highly valued newsstand edition, and, much like with Spawn #1, the visual difference between the direct edition and the newsstand edition is the presence of a UPC code on the front cover of the newsstand edition (but the absence of the code on the front cover of the direct edition)
  • Spawn Batman has a difference in the paper used between the direct edition and the newsstand edition, and CPG has a distinct entry for the newsstand edition (one that should probably be updated by the way, the value is arguably too low given the extreme rarity difference with the direct edition a dime a dozen and the newsstand edition impossibly hard to find). This provides a precedent for Spawn #9, which similarly has a difference regarding the paper used to manufacture the newsstand edition version of the book.
+3 link
Magic dan
Magic dan

5/24/2017

Magic dan
Magic dan
@bnobel

I returned to add notes to this posting but I'm very satisfied with your notes on Spawn #1 variant.

Thank you so much for your support. I sincerely hope the administrators of CPG jump on their back log of missing issues.

As paying CPG members, we all have a vested expectation of their services.

I'll definitely be checking back...

Magically yours,

Dan
0 link