Original Big-Tel
Hi there,

Can't see this is the database:

Title: The Ultraverse Secrets Marvel Doesn't Want You To Know

Date: Spring 1995

Publisher: Malibu

No Price - Giveaway

Magazine sized - b&w interior pages

Preview of the upcoming Marvel intrusion into the Ultraverse.

Cheers
Terry
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/19/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
I've heard of you!

Some of my board members helped me create a checklist years ago but I don't really collect the stuff.

http://comicchecklist.hol.es/Ultraverse/Ultraverse_Checklist.html

The last thing I remember adding was the Marvel 1994 Annual Report. I bought a copy and they had a small cameo in it.

Defiant1
0 link
Original Big-Tel
Original Big-Tel

6/9/2017

Original Big-Tel
Original Big-Tel
I used to have my own website titled "Big Tel's Web Page" many years ago. Yes - very silly website name! I used the site to list Marvel and Malibu variant covers and promotional/giveaway comics.

After putting a lot of effort into it over a few years, work commitment and kids started taking over and I just didn't get the time to keep it updated. Eventually the site that was hosting it closed down, and I even lost my domain name (www.big-tel.com) because I never got round to renewing it.

I still have all the files for the site though, and if I can ever be bothered, I may upload them all and get the site running again.

Cheers
Big Tel smile
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

6/9/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
Original Big-Tel wrote:
I used to have my own website titled "Big Tel's Web Page" many years ago. Yes - very silly website name! I used the site to list Marvel and Malibu variant covers and promotional/giveaway comics.

After putting a lot of effort into it over a few years, work commitment and kids started taking over and I just didn't get the time to keep it updated. Eventually the site that was hosting it closed down, and I even lost my domain name (www.big-tel.com) because I never got round to renewing it.

I still have all the files for the site though, and if I can ever be bothered, I may upload them all and get the site running again.

Cheers
Big Tel smile

I know about your old site. Some Valiant Comic fans wanted to turn my messageboard into an Ultraverse messageboard.
It annoyed me a little, because I'm not really a fan of the comics line. I created an Ultraverse category to segregate the conversation so It didn't dominate my "General Comics Discussion" category. . My checklist was a byproduct. I've shifted my focus from buying massive amounts of comics to becoming more of a comics historian. The information appealed to me, just not the creative content within the pages. I eventually shut down the category because it dominated everything. Your web page was repeatedly used as a reference for my board members. My checklist would not exist if not for you inspiring them to research the line and build upon what you already knew. As my members got annoyed with me and departed my messageboard, I encouraged them to take the info they'd collected and start their own site. One of my former board members did make a really nice Ultraverse blog and he's collected information on the promotional materials and such. You are a forefather of Ultraverse collecting. One of the elders. wink
0 link
Original Big-Tel
Original Big-Tel

6/15/2017

Original Big-Tel
Original Big-Tel
Do you mean the Ultraverse Flashback site at cheepultraverse.wordpress.com? If so, I've been using that site for some cross referencing lately. It's a really nice site and he's put some hard work into it.

I used to buy every single comic that Marvel published, from Barbie to the X-Men, and not one from any other publisher unless it was a Marvel crossover. It was when Marvel bought out Malibu and started the Ultraverse crossovers that I decided to collect all Malibu back issues from the start. After reading all the titles I soon realised that Marvel had destroyed them, which was a shame.

I eventually stopped buying comics in 2005 because, a) it was costing me a fortune every week, and b) I got very disillusioned by Marvel for ripping us off with multiple variants of the same issues, expensive "deluxe" editions, throwing away years of history and tradition with unnecessary reboots and generally producing rubbish storylines with some terrible writers and awful artists.

I haven't bought a single comic since 2005, although I've still got my collection and I've just restarted checking through them again.

Thanks a lot for your comments on my old site, it's always nice to hear that there was at least one person out there that found it of use!

Cheers
Big Tel smile
0 link

6/15/2017

Yes. That is the site. Your site helped inspire him and he picked up the bandwagon and took it further. If I find something new I'll post there occasionally to give him updates, but we don't communicate anymore.
I'm just glad to followed up on my suggestion to follow-up when I put the brakes on things.

I was a Marvel Zombie in the 70's and early 80's. I quit collecting in about 1983 because I could not afford to buy comics & date girls. I was out of comics for about 8 years. In the early 90's I quit two jobs back to back and had no income for awhile. I needed entertainment so I pulled all of my comics out of storage and started rereading my old comics. That created a desire to own all the older Marvel silver age stuff I'd never owned. I traded duplicates and things I didn't care about for a Strange Tales #110 and realized it was possible to get the key books that I thought I couldn't afford. I finally got a job. I tried buying the new comics from Marvel, but didn't like the art. Eventually I started buying Valiant and it was run by Jim Shooter, the former editor of Marvel Comics. That got me hooked on new comics again. It had the feel of Marvel Comics, but was better. The investors robbed the company from him, and fired him through some shady actions. The quality got horrible and I went looking for something else to collect. I settled on indy comics, but still occasionally still bought from DC or Marvel. I did some shrewd trades and eventually acquired Amazing Fantasy #15, Hulk #1, and Fantastic Four #1. Those were the books I'd always wanted. Malibu had some good talent, but they never excited me. I bought the Sludge Comic with Mike Ploog art and I bought some issues of Rune, but I never really liked most of their characters. I subscribed to comics at local comic shops until late in 1999 and then I switched to just buying comics off the shelf. Eventually, the indy titles that kept me buying kept spacing their issues further and further apart. I was probably out of buying new product on a regular basis by 2005 also. I stuck with collecting back issues and rarities. If I walk into a store today, they have poor back issue selection and none of the new comics interest me. I'm usually walking out within 10 minutes. I can still find old stuff that interests me at one local show, but even that is hit or miss. The prices are so high on new comics that the chance of me ever subscribing again is pretty much non-existent.

Take Care!

Defiant1
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

6/15/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
The site logged me out while I was typing. Sheesh! I can't fix my typos.

Defiant1
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

6/15/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
This was my latest Ultraverse discovery in in my collection. A Retailer ad catalog...

Sales to Astonish (April 1995) Front Cover:

Sales to Astonish (April 1995) Flip book Back Cover:

Depluto who runs the blog already had a post about it.

Defiant1
0 link
Pacino
Pacino
Administrator

6/12/2021

Pacino
Pacino
Administrator
Cool item for sure but based on this its a promo pamphlet not a comic https://cheepultraverse.wordpress.com/2013/11/04/ultraverse-secrets/
0 link