New to site, couple of quieries Messages in this topic - RSS

stuartc92
stuartc92

1/20/2016

stuartc92
stuartc92
Hi folks,

I'm new to the site, mainly joining because I inherited a reasonably sized DC Superman comic collection from a family member. I sifted through some of it today, plugging in some issue numbers for rough valuations so I knew where I stood roughly. The comics range from 1960's through to the 90's, which condition varying.

From what I can establish from the price guide on this site, most sit around the 8.0-9.4 mark, but in some have yellowish pages or minor creases, with some older ones having tape on the binding, graded at about 5.0 or so. All in all, as it stands tonight, the collection sits at 553 titles, but I still have some few boxes left to add.

I'm just wondering, as I'm looking at selling the comics, is it possible to link my collection that I have on this profile to a sales advert under the classified section, as I only seen an option to connect an ebay listing. Also, what are the main differences between RAW and GRADED values?

Thanks for your help,
Stuart
0 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator

1/21/2016

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
You sure can! When logged in, you can click the "My Display Case" link which is the link to your profile, which contains all of your collection details for other members to browse.

Also, here's a video about selling that may give you some tips and tricks.

RAW means the book in its natural form without any sort of certification. GRADED books are certified by a third-party grading company (like CBCS), and usually slabbed in a hard plastic case that effectively "locks" in the books condition. Of course, you can't read it that way, so grading is usually only done for high value books that you want to preserve, not read smile
Attachments:
collection.JPG
0 link
stuartc92
stuartc92

1/22/2016

stuartc92
stuartc92
Perfect, thanks for the info! One other question I have is on how reliable the pricing is on RAW comics? As the collection I have (some 800) I reckon, are all RAW copies. I've plugged them into my collection on this and been as accurate as I can using the grading system given on this site. Should I use this valuation with a pinch of salt, or is it a more reliable basis to work off?

Much obliged,
Stuart.
0 link
kds_comics
kds_comics

1/22/2016

kds_comics
kds_comics
To answer you question on reliability - Comic Price Guide is a wonderful Guide.
95% of the time, you will get a good, "real world" price a comic will sell at.

But there are other free guides on the web.
The Overstreet Comic Price Guide - you can find prices from this guide online if you search.
Comic Book Realms puts out a free guide as well. Real comics are sold on My Comic Shop.com

As with any endeavor, you should check more than one source for a price.
The biggest discrepancy I have found is that low grade 1970's comic will be a little low here compared to Overstreet price and a few others.

MY OPINION - is that CPG tends to reflect the fact that if a comic is worth $2 to $3 big dealers are not bothering to bag, board and display and are blowing out these comics in low grade for $0.50 to $1.00 - so I think to the little guy like me they are undervalued.

0 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator

1/25/2016

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
stuartc92 wrote:
Should I use this valuation with a pinch of salt, or is it a more reliable basis to work off?

Price guides are always the latter. At the end of the day, a comic book is worth only as much as someone will give you for it. We could list a book for $5, but you could happen upon a serious collector and the book you have is the only book missing in his collection. So he offers you $200 just to make sure he gets the last book. Does this mean the book you sold was actually worth $200 in the open market?

No... it's probably, on average, still going to sell for $5.

Use what you find here as a starting point for negotiations and adjust based on the situation you're in. A dealer is almost always going to offer you less, a super fan probably more, and private collectors always in-between. smile
+1 link
stuartc92
stuartc92

1/25/2016

stuartc92
stuartc92
Brilliant, thanks for your hep guys, just need to see how I get on now!

Cheers!
0 link