Help Us Feed the CPG Megacomputer Messages in this topic - RSS

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
Posts: 242

9/26/2016

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
Posts: 242
As you all know, the comics industry is in a bit of a boom right now and with all the new content, we find ourselves struggling to keep up. Many of the best databases in the world have countered this influx of new data by converting to a "wiki" system allowing users to contribute to the site, and now is the time for CPG to step into this realm as well.

Introducing the Super Computer Verification Page

For some time, we've had tools for our members to submit missing data into our system and up until now, each and every piece of data submitted was reviewed by an administrator or staffer at CPG prior to publishing the change live. We did this for a very simple reason: We want our published information to be correct.

But as the industry has exploded with more variants and new series than you can shake a stick at, this has caused an extreme backlog. Time that should be spent coding and improving the site had instead been spent approving comic covers and variants, and that's not an efficient way for us to grow. So we decided that if our members are trustworthy enough to provide us the data, they should be trustworthy enough to also approve it. And thus we are moving our site towards a wiki model where our members have a much greater say and control over the facts we publish onto our site.

The more you assist us with entering and verifying data, the more your Member Rank increases. As your Member Rank increases, your "trustworthy-ness" also increases, and you can verify data on your own without crowd-sourced assistance. Your sales listings will appear higher, your want lists will appear higher, and your overall experience with the site will be improved. As they say, the cream will rise to the top, and it is our hope that this system helps identify the most active and most interested members of our community so that when a new member joins and is looking for someone to trade comics with - they find a great candidate right away.

For new members, establishing and growing your member rank is quick and easy for the first few levels so don't worry - you won't be left behind. It's easy to establish yourself quickly as a trusted site member.

Please give our new verification page a try today and provide us with some feedback. We currently only have cover scans, issue dates, and creators available for verification, but we'll introduce more features soon. We'll also allow for you to submit pricing data to us when you see books that you believe may not be properly represented.

Feel free to leave feedback here or email us directly using this form.
+2 link
Godlike1
Godlike1
Posts: 7

10/4/2016

Godlike1
Godlike1
Posts: 7
Hey there
I have a question on how the verification system actually works so far from what I can see your member rank seems to determine the amount of points you attribute to a item being correct or not correct,
So as I currently have a member rank of 4 then 4 points get attributed to that piece of data that I see is correct (hopefully I'm right so far smile )
It would appear each piece of data requires x amount of points to be verified however I can't seem to find anything that tells me how many points are required for something to be deemed correct?
Or have I got it all wrong? haha
Also cool too see something like this in place as it certainly puts perspective on how much of back log there really is.
thanks in advance
Phil
0 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
Posts: 242

10/5/2016

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
Posts: 242
Hi Phil,

You are correct! Any single piece of data takes 10 points to officially "lock in". An administrator is worth 10 points so when we verify data, it automatically passes. For our members, if you have been a long time member and get to an 8 or 9, then we know you're highly likely to be correct, so we only need one or two other sets of eyes on it.

For new members (i.e. new accounts), we have no idea their experience or expertise. They could be false accounts. So we feel if 10 new members all say something is correct, it has to be.

And then in the middle is everyone else with varying levels of "trust" smile
+3 link
psmart
psmart
Posts: 62

11/13/2016

psmart
psmart
Posts: 62
Is there a way to filter this data down to the issues that I KNOW I own? I'm primarily in "data entry" mode with already completed 70 boxes, but still have about 100 to go... Needless to say it's HARD to get at the boxes easily, so if there was a way that I knew maybe 10 of the issues I owned (in the same box) and the box wasn't buried behind other boxes then I could help verify.

I didn't really know about this until I JUST saw this article today.
0 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
Posts: 242

11/14/2016

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
Posts: 242
It's a relatively new system and one we haven't promoted a ton - yet - because we're still working out the kinks. We have a new version of the site we're working on that will improve box management and highlight these data entry opportunities.
0 link
psmart
psmart
Posts: 62

11/14/2016

psmart
psmart
Posts: 62
When I have the time I'll blog about my current process. The first 65 boxes or so the database had pretty much everything I owned and I thought it continue to be an easy process. Now I'm working on my Indy boxes and I'm finding (or not finding) titles, issues, even publishers that are not in the database. Granted, I was COMPLETELY surprised and also gratified that I have kept some unique issues. I'm hoping the process gets easier. I know I posted something about making this process easier, but I can't find it. So I figure I would blog about it on my own site so I can at least go back and find what I've written. So far I REALLY like this site and have worked around the weird process of submitting new titles or issues. Seems like a LOT of work for you.

I know if I were in your shoes I would write a post scraper that would at the very least dump the data into the database in some sort of pending state. I HOPE that you're not hand entering or copying and pasting the forum posts. If there is a mechanism to create entries in a pending state that I could use then I'd be happy to enter it. I've got to enter it into my spreadsheet anyway for later submission.
+1 link
Jtolar
Jtolar
Posts: 18

11/29/2016

Jtolar
Jtolar
Posts: 18
So reading the point system above for approvals is it safe to assume the opposite is true for incorrect submissions?

If I see that a submission has already been marked as incorrect from someone at level 4 it now has a score of -4. If I also verify it as incorrect it is now -8. Once that item reaches -10 it is removed?
0 link
netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
Posts: 242

11/30/2016

netstuffers
netstuffers
Administrator
Posts: 242
Jtolar wrote:
If I see that a submission has already been marked as incorrect from someone at level 4 it now has a score of -4. If I also verify it as incorrect it is now -8. Once that item reaches -10 it is removed?



Correct. If someone says, "Hey, this isn't right", we still want the community to verify that. They could be wrong, of course. This sets up a little bit of a debate scenario and in future versions, we'll include user comments with their vote so people can see the back and forth discussions.
0 link
Jtolar
Jtolar
Posts: 18

11/30/2016

Jtolar
Jtolar
Posts: 18
netstuffers wrote:
in future versions, we'll include user comments with their vote so people can see the back and forth discussions.



Right... currently you can only add a comment when down voting. There has been times where I have seen an error in the down vote but cannot explain why I think it is correct. Like a second cover artist, Someone down voted a second cover artist even though it was correct.
edited by jtolar on 11/30/2016
0 link
CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
Posts: 7

11/30/2016

CaptGrelden
CaptGrelden
Posts: 7
I hope this is appropriate for this thread..

In confirming cover prices for Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, I found that there was no Creator info , and since I had them at arms length I thought I would add it.

The question: Since this maxi-series is *based on* his novel, would Neil Gaiman also be appropriate to list as Author? In the book he is listed as "Consultant" and its noted "Based on the novel by" but these are not in the Dropdown haha


Thanks, its cool to be able to contribute in ANY way to the database, I remember how hard it was with first versions of CZ Comic Collector before the DB was really populated.
I have something else not listed at ALL, so am looking forward to adding it when I can ( find it )

Capt Grelden
0 link
sargon
sargon
Posts: 43

12/10/2016

sargon
sargon
Posts: 43
how do we report mistakes which have already been approved? I noticed that with the prices on some Fitzgerald books (Golden Legacy 1st Print)

Sargon
+1 link
Jtolar
Jtolar
Posts: 18

12/10/2016

Jtolar
Jtolar
Posts: 18
I was wondering the same thing. Although the overall process is great and you see a noticeable difference in how quickly things get approved I think there are a lot of people that just click approve without verifying the actual data.

I think it is because people see it as a quick and easy way to improve their rank. Is this the case?

I have a program I wrote at lunch the other day that allows me to highlight and copy the title and issue number, paste it into the search box and it will lookup the data on wikia. If it is incorrect I then google it to find multiple resources to confirm it.
edited by Jtolar on 12/10/2016
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 670

12/10/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 670
sargon wrote:
how do we report mistakes which have already been approved? I noticed that with the prices on some Fitzgerald books (Golden Legacy 1st Print)

Sargon




I just checked them out, No. 1 & 9 are wrong...The rest seem fine (sorry if i missed one)
I've passed it on to be fixed Sargon.
edited by Gilgandra on 12/10/2016
0 link
sargon
sargon
Posts: 43

12/15/2016

sargon
sargon
Posts: 43
Gilgandra wrote:
sargon wrote:
how do we report mistakes which have already been approved? I noticed that with the prices on some Fitzgerald books (Golden Legacy 1st Print)

Sargon




I just checked them out, No. 1 & 9 are wrong...The rest seem fine (sorry if i missed one)
I've passed it on to be fixed Sargon.
edited by Gilgandra on 12/10/2016



Thanks Gil. Do you want a pm on any others I spot?

Sargon
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 670

12/15/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 670
sargon wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
sargon wrote:
how do we report mistakes which have already been approved? I noticed that with the prices on some Fitzgerald books (Golden Legacy 1st Print)

Sargon




I just checked them out, No. 1 & 9 are wrong...The rest seem fine (sorry if i missed one)
I've passed it on to be fixed Sargon.
edited by Gilgandra on 12/10/2016



Thanks Gil. Do you want a pm on any others I spot?

Sargon




Go for it good sir, Not a problem!
0 link
RocknRollguitarplayer
RocknRollguitarplayer
Posts: 19

2/19/2017

Amen! Cool In order to feel the full power of the comic book data base, the creators stuck in the Que need approving! If you want to hand over the church key I can help with the log jam if you cats are busy as I know the comicbook business never sleeps.
On days When i'm free and rollin along to punch in data I can also approve creators. Let Me know, Have a good weekend.
RnR-GP
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 670

2/21/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 670
RocknRollguitarplayer wrote:
Amen! Cool In order to feel the full power of the comic book data base, the creators stuck in the Que need approving! If you want to hand over the church key I can help with the log jam if you cats are busy as I know the comicbook business never sleeps.
On days When i'm free and rollin along to punch in data I can also approve creators. Let Me know, Have a good weekend.
RnR-GP




Did you apply to become a administrator Rock& Roll. You can right on this page good sir.
http://comicspriceguide.com/forum/topic6278-now-recruiting-new-administrators-and-moderators.aspx
Hope to see you soon.
0 link
RocknRollguitarplayer
RocknRollguitarplayer
Posts: 19

3/5/2017

Gilgandra wrote:
RocknRollguitarplayer wrote:
Amen! Cool In order to feel the full power of the comic book data base, the creators stuck in the Que need approving! If you want to hand over the church key I can help with the log jam if you cats are busy as I know the comicbook business never sleeps.
On days When i'm free and rollin along to punch in data I can also approve creators. Let Me know, Have a good weekend.
RnR-GP




Did you apply to become a administrator Rock& Roll. You can right on this page good sir.
http://comicspriceguide.com/forum/topic6278-now-recruiting-new-administrators-and-moderators.aspx
Hope to see you soon.
0 link
RocknRollguitarplayer
RocknRollguitarplayer
Posts: 19

3/5/2017

"Am I Bonafied yet" ?
0 link
RocknRollguitarplayer
RocknRollguitarplayer
Posts: 19

3/22/2017

GOOD GOD MAN Please approve some artistic guys/gals stuck in the QUE. The Enlightened Age of Comics needs your mutant enhanced finger to hit the approval button! Cool

RnR-GP
+1 link
12


Comic Book Store Locator

Don't let this happen to you. Try our new Comic Book Shop Locator service today!

CPG Comic Book Store Locator

CPG Partners

Our partners help make CPG possible.
We couldn't do it without them!

Become a Partner Today
Warning: Your Internet Explorer is outdated and unsafe. This site features advanced technology that works best on modern web browsers. It's free to upgrade.
Warning: CPG works best with Javascript enabled. Some site features may be unavailable.