Volatile Uncanny X-Men prices Messages in this topic - RSS

Coconice
Coconice

5/3/2017

Coconice
Coconice
I keep my books on CPG to have a handy, offsite inventory and to see price changes.

I pulled up My Collection today, and there was a ton of movement, both up and down, in my 1980s X-Men issues.

What is up with all the sudden price wiggling? I don't follow stories or buy books anymore, but seeing #138 be down $20 got my attention. Is there something hinky with the story line?

Did some genius come along and say, "It was all a dream..."

I'd post a snip, but I'm not going to move the image to a host, so, take my word for it! The movement on my listed was from issues 129 to 144, and then several from 201-222.

Is someone hating on Dark Phoenix?
0 link
colbalt91
colbalt91

5/5/2017

colbalt91
colbalt91
To me it seems like comic book prices have gotten like the stock market. There are ups and downs, but generally everything goes up. I don't see how anybody can hate on Dark Phoenix, but perhaps some movie plans fell through somewhere.
0 link
rixmaxx
rixmaxx

5/5/2017

rixmaxx
rixmaxx
Coconice wrote:
I keep my books on CPG to have a handy, offsite inventory and to see price changes.

I pulled up My Collection today, and there was a ton of movement, both up and down, in my 1980s X-Men issues.

What is up with all the sudden price wiggling? I don't follow stories or buy books anymore, but seeing #138 be down $20 got my attention. Is there something hinky with the story line?

Did some genius come along and say, "It was all a dream..."

I'd post a snip, but I'm not going to move the image to a host, so, take my word for it! The movement on my listed was from issues 129 to 144, and then several from 201-222.

Is someone hating on Dark Phoenix?

The values were way out of whack, now they're little closer to reality. (Still a little high on some compared to Ebay "sold" prices.) Wiggle
0 link
Coconice
Coconice

5/6/2017

Coconice
Coconice
I can accept "price correction" as a reason for the change.

I thought there must have been some industry event that was being reflected.

I remember over 20 years ago when I bought my copy of X-Force #1 being disappointed because it had the Deadpool card. Now, I guess I'm happy that I have that card.

And, Arrow, the Flash, Supergirl, Steel on the DC set have sure changed the values of a lot of my 1970s-80s book. Didn't hurt the value of Action #252 I bought at a garage sale for a dime!
0 link
stephanm
stephanm

7/27/2017

stephanm
stephanm
I too noticed this massive price adjustment of Byrne era X-Men (mostly Dark Phoenix issues), and was a little puzzled -- especially because it came just after it was announced that the next X-Men film would feature Dark Phoenix (such announcements generally driving UP prices, instead of down; just look at ASM 300 or 375 recently...).
While I agree that the Byrne X-Men values on CPG were a bit on the robust side (certainly compared to eBay auction results), I still thought this was a little extreme. Not least because if eBay auction results (I don't mean eBay "Buy It Now" prices, which tend to be wishful thinking, or rather, a first gambit in a negotiation) are the criterion, than almost all prices on CPG (with a few ultra-hot exceptions) are too high. I try never to bid more than 75% of CPG at auctions, and I tend to get more than half the books I bid for. With Marvel Silver Age (and some desirable Bronze Age books) I have to go a bit above that rule, but DCs (even Silver Age if they are not key issues) I often get at 50% of CPG or so.
So I can't shake the feeling that these X-Men were a little unfairly singled out.
To me, CPG, while a bit more realistic in general than Overstreet, doesn't so much represent what I am likely to achieve, if I were to sell my books on eBay (or wherever) as a private individual, but what I would likely have to pay when buying off a professional seller.
Of course it would be fantastic if CPG were to truly represent collector value, i.e. what i could realistically sell for, but I think that would mean a complete overhaul of almost all the values on the site.
0 link
Kalgql
Kalgql

8/17/2017

Kalgql
Kalgql
I know nothing about comics but I just had a box full of marvel and Dc comics fall in my lap . I've been doing research all day and they seem to be good ones . There are a few uncanny x men in there if anyone is interested. Message me . I spent all day taking pics and organizing I can email if interested
0 link

Comic Book Store Locator

Don't let this happen to you. Try our new Comic Book Shop Locator service today!

CPG Comic Book Store Locator

CPG Partners

Our partners help make CPG possible.
We couldn't do it without them!

Become a Partner Today
Warning: Your Internet Explorer is outdated and unsafe. This site features advanced technology that works best on modern web browsers. It's free to upgrade.
Warning: CPG works best with Javascript enabled. Some site features may be unavailable.