Sargon's Rubies of Life have returned Messages in this topic - RSS

sargon
sargon
Posts: 44

2/25/2016

sargon
sargon
Posts: 44
Now that we are all moved and I can access my books again, it's time to show off some of my back issue discoveries. It is great to see people back and hopefully we can continue to add people to our community.




Since she appeared on Arrow this week, I thought I'd pull out this since I recently grabbed it as a second copy from my dealer.






I have to blame Batman Brave and the Bold for this. I couldn't resist a reader's copy of it as crazy as he is.



Not a big Legion fan but I remember seeing this cover on so many adds growing up that I had to grab a copy to see what happened.

More will be coming as I start to unearth things and have time to scan.

Sargon
edited by sargon on 2/25/2016

So any suggestions on what is going on with photobucket?

edited by sargon on 2/25/2016
edited by sargon on 2/26/2016
edited by sargon on 2/26/2016
0 link
aarondawe
aarondawe
Posts: 128

2/26/2016

aarondawe
aarondawe
Posts: 128
Here's what was posted on Jokerbangedquinn's thread:


I see you're having the same issues I have with the photobucket tags. I copy the tag into my post, and when it goes live, there's no picture. But often when I go back to edit, the pictures are there, so I save the changes and it's good to go.

Aaron, save, edit, BAMM, it works. Got to remember that. Thanks


Aaron
0 link
sargon
sargon
Posts: 44

2/26/2016

sargon
sargon
Posts: 44
aarondawe wrote:
Here's what was posted on Jokerbangedquinn's thread:


I see you're having the same issues I have with the photobucket tags. I copy the tag into my post, and when it goes live, there's no picture. But often when I go back to edit, the pictures are there, so I save the changes and it's good to go.

Aaron, save, edit, BAMM, it works. Got to remember that. Thanks


Aaron


Hmmm...

I gave that a try and still no pictures. I was having the same problem on the old forum so maybe it is me or my mac. I'll try to get in from work and see what happens.

Sargon

So doing it in Safri worked this time... sure... Hammer Time
edited by sargon on 2/26/2016
0 link
sargon
sargon
Posts: 44

3/1/2016

sargon
sargon
Posts: 44
Here are some more DC's I have picked up along the way. It's a nice mixture of items.



I am slowly completing this series though I have noticed the prices for the back issues of it and Demon have steadily increased over the last few months. This one is quite nice especially for a 52 pager.



Jungles and Joe Kubert. There really isn't much more to say. His Tarzan run was incredible.




This is an upgrade over the copy I bought ages ago when I was trying to get all of the JLA/JSA crossovers. Now I am going to try to upgrade the condition of them. The sound effects on the cover are OUTRAGEOUS!




It's a great JLA with Despero, one of the most dangerous villains they ever faced.


Sargon
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 855

3/2/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 855
Your return is justified Sargon Thumbs Up
Sweet copy of the first DC Korak son of Tarzan.
0 link
sargon
sargon
Posts: 44

3/4/2016

sargon
sargon
Posts: 44
Gilgandra wrote:
Your return is justified Sargon Thumbs Up
Sweet copy of the first DC Korak son of Tarzan.



Thanks a lot! I am enjoying your thread too.

I love the Koraks and Tarzans from this era. The stories are so much fun to read and the art is amazing.

Sargon
0 link
sargon
sargon
Posts: 44

3/4/2016

sargon
sargon
Posts: 44
I wanted to put up some of the different publishers as I continue to collect scans of items.



I love the mod covers so much . They have so much pop and as a child of the 70's and 80's, those designs were still out and around in popular culture.





These are the last two appearances by the Charlton versions of these characters before they appeared in Crisis. Neither are particularly great reading, but it is fascinating to see what kind of plans were out there for them before they were purchased by DC.





Couldn't tell you anything about these shows/movies but the story on the Moon thing was barking mad. I am almost, but not quite, tempted to track down a copy of it to watch but I don't think there is enough whiskey to sustain me through it.

Sargon
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 855

3/4/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 855
sargon wrote:
I wanted to put up some of the different publishers as I continue to collect scans of items.



I love the mod covers so much . They have so much pop and as a child of the 70's and 80's, those designs were still out and around in popular culture.





These are the last two appearances by the Charlton versions of these characters before they appeared in Crisis. Neither are particularly great reading, but it is fascinating to see what kind of plans were out there for them before they were purchased by DC.





Couldn't tell you anything about these shows/movies but the story on the Moon thing was barking mad. I am almost, but not quite, tempted to track down a copy of it to watch but I don't think there is enough whiskey to sustain me through it.

Sargon




Lol agree, I have never heard or seen that "mouse on the moon" either.
Crazy ideas them days.
0 link
CapnDoug
CapnDoug
Administrator
Posts: 151

3/4/2016

CapnDoug
CapnDoug
Administrator
Posts: 151
Not sure where they get off calling that a movie "classic..." I mean, has anyone seen it? Heard of it? It would be an interesting thing to see, though. And a nice comic to own, too.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 855

3/4/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 855
CapnDoug wrote:
Not sure where they get off calling that a movie "classic..." I mean, has anyone seen it? Heard of it? It would be an interesting thing to see, though. And a nice comic to own, too.



Yep! It's on YouTube...You have been warned hahano
0 link
sargon
sargon
Posts: 44

3/4/2016

sargon
sargon
Posts: 44
CapnDoug wrote:
Not sure where they get off calling that a movie "classic..." I mean, has anyone seen it? Heard of it? It would be an interesting thing to see, though. And a nice comic to own, too.


I had never heard of the Young Rebels either but it looks like Louis Gossett Jr is in it. I guess everyone has to start somewhere...

And after reading that Mouse on the Moon book... it's going to need some serious drink to get through. Maybe even more than I had watching the original Casino Royale.

Sargon
0 link
sargon
sargon
Posts: 44

3/4/2016

sargon
sargon
Posts: 44
Gilgandra wrote:
CapnDoug wrote:
Not sure where they get off calling that a movie "classic..." I mean, has anyone seen it? Heard of it? It would be an interesting thing to see, though. And a nice comic to own, too.



Yep! It's on YouTube...You have been warned hahano



Thanks for taking one for the team? Creeped out
0 link
Robbie
Robbie
Posts: 159

3/4/2016

Robbie
Robbie
Posts: 159
sargon wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
Your return is justified Sargon Thumbs Up
Sweet copy of the first DC Korak son of Tarzan.



Thanks a lot! I am enjoying your thread too.

I love the Koraks and Tarzans from this era. The stories are so much fun to read and the art is amazing.

Sargon

DC Korak & Tarzan (& Weird Worlds with John Carter) are fun. Mostly Kubert artwork.
The Carson of Venus backup in Korak is great; rarely get to see that character.
0 link
Robbie
Robbie
Posts: 159

3/4/2016

Robbie
Robbie
Posts: 159
High grade Bunny. Nice pickup. Giant sized Harveys tend to be more beat up.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 855

3/4/2016

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Posts: 855
Robbie wrote:
sargon wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
Your return is justified Sargon Thumbs Up
Sweet copy of the first DC Korak son of Tarzan.



Thanks a lot! I am enjoying your thread too.

I love the Koraks and Tarzans from this era. The stories are so much fun to read and the art is amazing.

Sargon

DC Korak & Tarzan (& Weird Worlds with John Carter) are fun. Mostly Kubert artwork.
The Carson of Venus backup in Korak is great; rarely get to see that character.




I have the first DC Tarzan issue & i did enjoy it. I believe i have a book that features Korak somewhere...Not that awesome issue from DC through. Would love to get some one day.
0 link
sargon
sargon
Posts: 44

3/4/2016

sargon
sargon
Posts: 44
Gilgandra wrote:
Robbie wrote:
sargon wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
Your return is justified Sargon Thumbs Up
Sweet copy of the first DC Korak son of Tarzan.



Thanks a lot! I am enjoying your thread too.

I love the Koraks and Tarzans from this era. The stories are so much fun to read and the art is amazing.

Sargon

DC Korak & Tarzan (& Weird Worlds with John Carter) are fun. Mostly Kubert artwork.
The Carson of Venus backup in Korak is great; rarely get to see that character.




I have the first DC Tarzan issue & i did enjoy it. I believe i have a book that features Korak somewhere...Not that awesome issue from DC through. Would love to get some one day.



DC kept the same numbering for Tarzan and Korak as they had from the Dell/Gold Key runs. I also have a handful of those early Tarzans and will scan them when I can find them

I know there was a run of Tarzan Family books which came after the Korak ended which included John Carter. I don't remember if Carson is in them though. I'll have to check once those boxes have migrated over from the storage unit.

Sargon
0 link
Crowman
Crowman
Posts: 160

3/5/2016

Crowman
Crowman
Posts: 160
Some great looking books there, congrats!


The bizarre Polka Dot man? Gotta love it!
0 link
Robbie
Robbie
Posts: 159

3/5/2016

Robbie
Robbie
Posts: 159
sargon wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
Robbie wrote:
sargon wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
Your return is justified Sargon Thumbs Up
Sweet copy of the first DC Korak son of Tarzan.



Thanks a lot! I am enjoying your thread too.

I love the Koraks and Tarzans from this era. The stories are so much fun to read and the art is amazing.

Sargon

DC Korak & Tarzan (& Weird Worlds with John Carter) are fun. Mostly Kubert artwork.
The Carson of Venus backup in Korak is great; rarely get to see that character.




I have the first DC Tarzan issue & i did enjoy it. I believe i have a book that features Korak somewhere...Not that awesome issue from DC through. Would love to get some one day.



DC kept the same numbering for Tarzan and Korak as they had from the Dell/Gold Key runs. I also have a handful of those early Tarzans and will scan them when I can find them

I know there was a run of Tarzan Family books which came after the Korak ended which included John Carter. I don't remember if Carson is in them though. I'll have to check once those boxes have migrated over from the storage unit.

Sargon

I have a complete set of Korak (GK, DC & Family), almost have a 2nd high grade set of the Gold Key issues. That's a lot of ape covers. Cool My Dell/GK Tarzan collection is not close to complete.

Not only is Carson in Tarzan Family, but the stories are written by Swamp Thing and new X-Men co-creator Len Wein. smile

Tarzan Family also has John Carter and Pellucidar (ERB's center of the earth series, a Turok rip-off, but ERB did it first).

Korak's 1st Dell/GK app was Tarzan #139 (Dec 1963). He got his own series the following month. DC renamed Korak to Tarzan Family and switched to double sized format.

Tarzan was in comics before Superman. That's old school. He's got a new movie this year, with Sam L Jackson... might not suck.
0 link
sargon
sargon
Posts: 44

3/5/2016

sargon
sargon
Posts: 44
Crowman wrote:
Some great looking books there, congrats!


The bizarre Polka Dot man? Gotta love it!


I never knew the guy existed before I saw him on Batman Brave and the Bold. He's a strange guy even by Bat-villain standards.

Apparently, there is a Zebra Man too and if I can track down a low grade copy of him I will.

Sargon
0 link
sargon
sargon
Posts: 44

3/5/2016

sargon
sargon
Posts: 44
Robbie wrote:
sargon wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
Robbie wrote:
sargon wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:
Your return is justified Sargon Thumbs Up
Sweet copy of the first DC Korak son of Tarzan.



Thanks a lot! I am enjoying your thread too.

I love the Koraks and Tarzans from this era. The stories are so much fun to read and the art is amazing.

Sargon

DC Korak & Tarzan (& Weird Worlds with John Carter) are fun. Mostly Kubert artwork.
The Carson of Venus backup in Korak is great; rarely get to see that character.




I have the first DC Tarzan issue & i did enjoy it. I believe i have a book that features Korak somewhere...Not that awesome issue from DC through. Would love to get some one day.



DC kept the same numbering for Tarzan and Korak as they had from the Dell/Gold Key runs. I also have a handful of those early Tarzans and will scan them when I can find them

I know there was a run of Tarzan Family books which came after the Korak ended which included John Carter. I don't remember if Carson is in them though. I'll have to check once those boxes have migrated over from the storage unit.

Sargon

I have a complete set of Korak (GK, DC & Family), almost have a 2nd high grade set of the Gold Key issues. That's a lot of ape covers. Cool My Dell/GK Tarzan collection is not close to complete.

Not only is Carson in Tarzan Family, but the stories are written by Swamp Thing and new X-Men co-creator Len Wein. smile

Tarzan Family also has John Carter and Pellucidar (ERB's center of the earth series, a Turok rip-off, but ERB did it first).

Korak's 1st Dell/GK app was Tarzan #139 (Dec 1963). He got his own series the following month. DC renamed Korak to Tarzan Family and switched to double sized format.

Tarzan was in comics before Superman. That's old school. He's got a new movie this year, with Sam L Jackson... might not suck.



Thanks for the history there! I have a handful of Dell/GK Tarzans but only on DC Korak at the moment. I'll have to go back and reread the Tarzan Family books. I had remembered the John Carters in there but not the Carson. Carter is a favorite of mine thanks to the Marvel series which introduced me to him.

When it comes to the classic pulp characters, I am more of a Shadow, Green Hornet, and Lone Ranger fan. My father had the old radio shows on tape and we listened to them in the car when we would go on family trips.

Sargon
0 link
12