Tonka's Tittilations Messages in this topic - RSS

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

7/7/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
Going to concentrate more on the older comics now. Haven't got many at all. Some bits and bobs in my arsenal. Plus some of the full runs I have. Just need a little push to finish some of them off.

edited by imatonkatoo on 7/7/2018
0 link
jarhead_84
jarhead_84

7/7/2018

jarhead_84
jarhead_84
I am more concerned on where did you find a filing cabinet wide enough to hold two rows of comics? The ones I have are narrower, can only hold one row!

Nice collection by the way!
Ben
0 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

7/8/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
I got mine from here. https://www.directofficesupply.co.uk/silverline-filing-cabinets-b11

The make is Silverline.

Just counted my Action comics. I have 37 out of 1000. Mixed bag of silver and modern. 😢🤞
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

7/8/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Nice looking books and yes like your file cabinets. What grades do you give your Sub Mariner and Saga of the Swamp Thing?
0 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

7/9/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
Really not sure about the grades. Will have a proper look and upload a scan this week sometime. They probably look better than what they are being in Mylites.
0 link
Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator

7/9/2018

Ronbatman
Ronbatman
Administrator
Nice collection! I always enjoy the early Conan issues and you've got issues 1 and 2.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

7/9/2018

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Cool, Nice collection you have there imatonkatoo.
0 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

7/10/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
I have never graded a comic before. I hazard a very loose guess at 7.0 for the Swamp Thing

And a 5.0 for Sub-Mariner Just noticed a slight tear at the bottom. upset

edited by imatonkatoo on 7/10/2018
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

7/10/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
I’m shocked, you got to be kidding that you NEVER GRADED A COMIC BEFORE. All the comics you bought you never graded what you bought? That’s not very smart by you. How you you know if you over paid, or got a deal, how do you know the places or people you buy from are grading well the books you are buying?
0 link

7/10/2018

Trust. 🤣😁 Just never been into the grading side of comics. If it looks good from the photos I normally go by that. If I want a graded book I buy CGC as I can't trust myself to grade something. What would you grade these books at? Never sent a comic book back yet. (Touch wood). I look at the front and back but I don't study it. Suppose I should start practising a bit if grading. How do you grade your books? Look at it as a 10.00 then knock a grade off for each blemish? I don't want it to take over my collecting though.
0 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

7/10/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
Dunno why I'm down as guest. I'm logged on.
0 link

7/10/2018

Your statement of not grading just really surprises me considering some of the books you posted through the years since you been here on this site. Some of your books aren’t cheap to buy and the thinking that the seller is honest and can grade well is nice to think that way but it just isn’t smart.
I recently bought a book on eBay from a seller in London. The seller on the auction listed that they have been in business from 1988, also listed the book I was bidding on was in Near Mint. I won book for $228. Finally got the book and my grade was it was fine plus (6.5) or no higher than a fine plus/very fine minus (7.0). Had finger prints on the whole back cover, had creases along the whole back cover, and part of the front cover. It was obvious to me they actually didn’t look at the book to grade or can’t grade or they were screwing the buyer. I sent it back for a refund, book cost to much to accept the lower grade seller offered me 50% off original price, no worth it.
. What if I didn’t grade it myself and years later try to sell it? I’d lose a lot of money and or have the buyer be upset of the book assuming that I believed it was NM-. You really need to grade most books you buy depending what your paying.
You said luckily you never sent a book back, but not grading is like saying “ignorance is bliss”. Trust in others is nice to think but when it comes down to money, you shouldn’t think this way.
I don’t spend much time grading. Five minutes or less to grade a book. I look at the covers, the corners, the staples and then the inside pages and the centerfold.
I have favorite sellers saved. They stay favorite sellers after I can tell their grades and my grades seem almost the same. Then and only then I start to trust. You got to grade and doing so your grading gets better over time.
I’m will not try to grade your scans, it’s only the front cover shown. Hope I haven’t upset you, I wasn’t trying to do that, just trying to be friendly and hopeful.

3Lions got to win the Cup!!!
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

7/10/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
The above post was me, to long of a answer to be signed in....
0 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

7/11/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
Ha no mate. Takes a lot to upset me. 👍 Really appreciate the input. I suppose ignorance is bliss. Going to start having more of a go at grading as it is part and parcel of the collecting side of comics. I hardly ever open books I don't read as I feel that might cause damage. When I see sellers with a photo of the book opened flat to show the inside I just think is that causing damage. When I read a book I read it very gingerly. Careful to only open it enough to be able to read it. So I must care about grades somewhere inside. I must be a sellers dream. 😁 Just purchased Action Comics 290 at VF for £50.00 and Avengers 57 graded 4.0 so will have a proper go at grading them later. See if my grade compares with theirs. Paid £100 for the Avengers. Paid over the odds for it but I really wanted this one for Vision. Lets see if I can bring myself to open it. 👍

Man, it would be a dream to win the world cup. Not sure we could beat France. Though Croatia match tonight is going to be a good one.
0 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

7/11/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
Just had a look at the Action Comics 290. I graded it in-between a 6.0 to 7.0. Messaged the seller as he sold it as 8.0 very Fine. I'm pretty sure it's not an 8.0. Tiny 5mm tear in the front cover dents and quite a big crease on the back cover. Though can I question it as I am a noob at grading?
0 link
quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker

7/12/2018

quinnspuddinjoker
quinnspuddinjoker
Croatia seems to be on a mission. Back to back wins that came down to penalties, a first ever I believe, and then beating you, a really good team. I was hoping England would win but not too upset since Croatia plays clean solid football.
0 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

7/12/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
I really hope Croatia beat France now. Will be good to see a new country win it. They deserve the gold star on their shirts. Will be a good final.
0 link
imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo

7/14/2018

imatonkatoo
imatonkatoo
My CGC collection. Sold all of my Amazing Spider-Man a long time ago. Really wish I had kept them now.

edited by imatonkatoo on 7/14/2018
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

7/14/2018

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Your statement of not grading just really surprises me considering some of the books you posted through the years since you been here on this site. Some of your books aren’t cheap to buy and the thinking that the seller is honest and can grade well is nice to think that way but it just isn’t smart.
I recently bought a book on eBay from a seller in London. The seller on the auction listed that they have been in business from 1988, also listed the book I was bidding on was in Near Mint. I won book for $228. Finally got the book and my grade was it was fine plus (6.5) or no higher than a fine plus/very fine minus (7.0). Had finger prints on the whole back cover, had creases along the whole back cover, and part of the front cover. It was obvious to me they actually didn’t look at the book to grade or can’t grade or they were screwing the buyer. I sent it back for a refund, book cost to much to accept the lower grade seller offered me 50% off original price, no worth it.
. What if I didn’t grade it myself and years later try to sell it? I’d lose a lot of money and or have the buyer be upset of the book assuming that I believed it was NM-. You really need to grade most books you buy depending what your paying.
You said luckily you never sent a book back, but not grading is like saying “ignorance is bliss”. Trust in others is nice to think but when it comes down to money, you shouldn’t think this way.
I don’t spend much time grading. Five minutes or less to grade a book. I look at the covers, the corners, the staples and then the inside pages and the centerfold.
I have favorite sellers saved. They stay favorite sellers after I can tell their grades and my grades seem almost the same. Then and only then I start to trust. You got to grade and doing so your grading gets better over time.
I’m will not try to grade your scans, it’s only the front cover shown. Hope I haven’t upset you, I wasn’t trying to do that, just trying to be friendly and hopeful.

3Lions got to win the Cup!!!

Your always getting signed out HR. Whats going on there???
Maybe the site senses your awesomeness & cuts you off so it doesn't bad in your presence Lol.
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

7/14/2018

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Sweet Star Wars #1. Those Lock & Keys are cool, Missed out on those at the time. Supposed to be a good read.
I think i have that FF Marvel Action book. Came poly-bagged with a animation cell.
Detective Comics #366 has a cool cover.
But the win goes to Godzilla #1, 9.6 slabbed ...jealous much Lol Cool
0 link