Best of DC digest (and other digests) Messages in this topic - RSS

glennsim
glennsim

5 days ago

glennsim
glennsim
Because these are squarebound with cardstock covers, you pretty much can't open the cover without creating a crease down the front and/or back. Are the grading criteria more forgiving for creases on these than for regular comics?
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5 days ago

Defiant1
Defiant1
glennsim wrote:
Because these are squarebound with cardstock covers, you pretty much can't open the cover without creating a crease down the front and/or back. Are the grading criteria more forgiving for creases on these than for regular comics?

Conceptually, the answer is no. The really high grade collectors don't even want invisible oils from your skin on the cover.
They literally look at comics under a black light to find defects that can't be seen with the naked eye. It's all a battle to claim bragging rights to owning the most perfect comic out there. In all honesty though, the overall appearance of the book is going to weigh heavily on the assigned grade. The grades on Golden & Silver age books get skewed upwards because perfect versions are so rare.

Grading & pricing is all a game and the end goal is for retailers to find something wrong with your comic so they can buy cheap and then convince other people the flaw they found is no big deal so they can sell high. It's all a game of betrayal and collusion while using an ever so slightly floating framework of what they call grading guidelines.

I'm a quality inspector for a living. i can find something wrong with anything or I can be realistic and base the grade on the aesthetic fit/function/form of the product. Show me a CGC 10.0 graded comic and I can find something wrong with it even if it's an asymmetrical curve on the staple bends.

Abandon the notion that collectors won't care about the crease. The goal of every collector is to own the nicest copy of a comic that they can (or will willingly choose to) afford. If there is an untouched and hermetically sealed copy without the crease sitting next to yours with the crease, someone will find a way to justify knocking the grade on yours down.
0 link

Comic Book Store Locator

Don't let this happen to you. Try our new Comic Book Shop Locator service today!

CPG Comic Book Store Locator

CPG Partners

Our partners help make CPG possible.
We couldn't do it without them!

Become a Partner Today
Warning: Your Internet Explorer is outdated and unsafe. This site features advanced technology that works best on modern web browsers. It's free to upgrade.
Warning: CPG works best with Javascript enabled. Some site features may be unavailable.