Defiant1's Stuff Messages in this topic - RSS

Defiant1
Defiant1

5/17/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
Mallrats Promo Trading Cards

I was at an advanced screening of the movie in Atlanta. These were handed out.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/17/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
East Coast Comics reprint signed by Al Feldstein.

0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

5/18/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Defiant1 wrote:

Who doesn't love the Tick.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/18/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
I have a sheet #2 also, but I must not have scanned it.

Defiant1
0 link
Robbie
Robbie

5/18/2017

Robbie
Robbie
Defiant1 wrote:

I can't decide if that's cool. smile

Charlton. Early pre-code. At their laziest... They had the lowest quality standards, and low pay, and lazy editors... Some creators used Charlton to tell stories the others wouldn't do. And some phoned it in - do 3 Charlton pages in the same time it that to do 1 DC page and the hourly rate was pretty nice.

We got a cop/detective comic - from the UK, in a half-hearted attempt to be interesting.
The inspector is holding a package with a clock - a cop runs in with an urgent warning... I'm supposed to drop my hard earned dime to learn the Big Reveal?

It's not a clock - it's a bomb. Right? Wow. Impressive level of not caring.

Think I'm digging the special Charlton quirkiness. Bonus points for a cover that didn't age well.

The inspector is smoking a pipe - that's not allowed anymore.
Law enforcement finds a ticking package - first assumption is 'probably a clock, I'd best pick it up and shake it'. lol...

That should count as a "terrorist attack" cover. Is that a thing yet Cool

The Mallrat promo cards are neat - didn't know those exist.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/18/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
Robbie wrote:
Defiant1 wrote:

I can't decide if that's cool. smile

Charlton. Early pre-code. At their laziest... They had the lowest quality standards, and low pay, and lazy editors... Some creators used Charlton to tell stories the others wouldn't do. And some phoned it in - do 3 Charlton pages in the same time it that to do 1 DC page and the hourly rate was pretty nice.

We got a cop/detective comic - from the UK, in a half-hearted attempt to be interesting.
The inspector is holding a package with a clock - a cop runs in with an urgent warning... I'm supposed to drop my hard earned dime to learn the Big Reveal?

It's not a clock - it's a bomb. Right? Wow. Impressive level of not caring.

Think I'm digging the special Charlton quirkiness. Bonus points for a cover that didn't age well.

The inspector is smoking a pipe - that's not allowed anymore.
Law enforcement finds a ticking package - first assumption is 'probably a clock, I'd best pick it up and shake it'. lol...

That should count as a "terrorist attack" cover. Is that a thing yet Cool

The Mallrat promo cards are neat - didn't know those exist.

Years ago I started making comic company cover galleries. I'd start collecting scans and figure out what the rarities were in the process. I discovered Topps promo comics. Someone pointed me to a Splatterball with no foil on the cover from DEFIANT. I discovered that Miracle on Broadway existed from Broadway Comics. I found out a My Secret #2 exists from Atlas. It becomes an interesting revelation when you take one company and focus on bringing a cover gallery to completion. Someone challenged me to create a Charlton Cover Gallery. Charlton was a company that had lousy quality product, but I liked he fact that they existed. I liked the fact that someone made a drag racing comic or romance comics. There are only a few that I'd like to own. The ones that interest me the most are the short lived series like this that came out around the time the whole industry was imploding. They'd buy out other publishers and publish whatever stories had already been completed "in the can" so to speak. Also, Charlton's facility was severely flooded during the 50's and it crippled their production. The low print run and short lived series from the 50's interest me especially if it was an oddball theme. Kirby also worked for them for a short period after they bought up a publisher that he worked for. If I was to encounter a ZaZa the Mystic comic, I'd probably jump on that chance unless it was horribly overpriced. I doubt I will ever come close to finishing my Charlton Cover Gallery within my lifetime.

I've never seen the Mallrats cards online other than the set I have posted. I think I snagged several packs that were wrapped in clear cellophane. I only opened the one pack and that's the full set.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/18/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
Here is a really nice movie promo. It's a color booklet for one of Robin Williams' movies.

What Dreams May Come (Promo Booklet)

Defiant1 - http://comics.vforums.co.uk/
edited by Defiant1 on 5/18/2017
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/18/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
Here is a promo item that I got at the screening of "Tales From the Crypt: Bordello of Blood". A cryptkeeper mask.

I would think that items like this are pretty rare and many would get discarded.

Defiant1
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

5/18/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Lol could those eye holes be any smaller. Although it does look realistic
Hmm, Don't remember "What Dreams May Come".
edited by Gilgandra on 5/18/2017
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/19/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
Gilgandra wrote:

It's thin flat cardboard, but it looks realistic.

"What Dreams May Come" was visually a very interesting movie. The story was both dark and one of relentless hope. Robin Williams goes to heaven and then has to save his wife who went the other direction. Unfortunately, I did not feel that the ending was plausible. Artistically, I seem to recall that some scenes were like paintings that were fluid and in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPZpQsEFcKI&ytbChannel=UniversalMovies

Wow. Just watched an alternate ending on youtube that's worse than the one they went with.

Defiant1
0 link
Gilgandra
Gilgandra

5/19/2017

Gilgandra
Gilgandra
Defiant1 wrote:
Gilgandra wrote:

It's thin flat cardboard, but it looks realistic.

"What Dreams May Come" was visually a very interesting movie. The story was both dark and one of relentless hope. Robin Williams goes to heaven and then has to save his wife who went the other direction. Unfortunately, I did not feel that the ending was plausible. Artistically, I seem to recall that some scenes were like paintings that were fluid and in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPZpQsEFcKI&ytbChannel=UniversalMovies

Wow. Just watched an alternate ending on youtube that's worse than the one they went with.

Defiant1

Yep! sure i haven't seen that one yet.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

15 days ago

Defiant1
Defiant1
Some more of my stuff...

Back Cover

Defiant1
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

15 days ago

Defiant1
Defiant1
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

15 days ago

Defiant1
Defiant1
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

15 days ago

Defiant1
Defiant1
The Preview & regular version of this...

The back cover of the second one...

Defiant1
0 link

Comic Book Store Locator

Don't let this happen to you. Try our new Comic Book Shop Locator service today!

CPG Comic Book Store Locator

CPG Partners

Our partners help make CPG possible.
We couldn't do it without them!

Become a Partner Today
Warning: Your Internet Explorer is outdated and unsafe. This site features advanced technology that works best on modern web browsers. It's free to upgrade.
Warning: CPG works best with Javascript enabled. Some site features may be unavailable.