Marvel pence copies Messages in this topic - RSS

chipaway
chipaway

5/8/2017

chipaway
chipaway
Hi all.
Just upgeaded to the paid servixe here.love this site.
Im building my bronze age marvel collection and slowly getting rid of my pence copies. I do still have a few pence ones but they are minor key ones such as Ghost Rider 1 and Daredevil 168.
Can anyone tell me why the pence copies are graded so much lower in value than cents copies?
I've been led to believe that around 5% of the initail print runs were pence copies so surely they should be worth more as there were less made yet that. Isn't the case.
0 link
Defiant1
Defiant1

5/8/2017

Defiant1
Defiant1
It reflects what consumers are paying. It also reflects that fact that definitive lists of what exists has not been fully compiled and put into a friendly format so that collectors can reference that information to chase down sets. I think that the value will spike and become higher for these as collectors get up to speed and know exactly what exists.

Defiant1
0 link
aarondawe
aarondawe

5/9/2017

aarondawe
aarondawe
Agree with Defiant -- I remember years ago on these boards there were people arguing whether or not the '60's Marvel pence copies were reprints or not, so it's clear that there are many that don't consider them 'legitimate' because they are misinformed. They are a smaller subset of the full run printed, which could lead to higher values in future, if people accept these for what they are.

Aaron
0 link
keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth

19 days ago

aarondawe wrote:
Agree with Defiant -- I remember years ago on these boards there were people arguing whether or not the '60's Marvel pence copies were reprints or not, so it's clear that there are many that don't consider them 'legitimate' because they are misinformed. They are a smaller subset of the full run printed, which could lead to higher values in future, if people accept these for what they are.

Aaron
0 link
keith hollingsworth
keith hollingsworth

19 days ago

Understandably the cents copies were rarer in the U.K. as distribution in the sixties was poor. Obviously Pence copies are much more available in the U.K. but it is correct to say there will be significantly fewer pence copies compared with cents copies sold for the U.S. market. It is absurd to value #1 of Black Panther (cents copy) at $90 and the same issue as a pence copy at $12! The values in the guide may reflect prices in the U.S. but I have noticed that pence copies actually realise values in pounds sterling equivalent to prices in dollars listed in the guide, i.e. $10=£10, so given the exchange rate comics realise a better price in the U.K. than they do in the states!
0 link
Oxbladder
Oxbladder

18 days ago

Oxbladder
Oxbladder
The other reason they are worth less has little to do with scarcity and far more with cost. Shipping from the UK is more expensive and since the US pretty much drives price they rarely seek out books from areas where shipping is more costly. While pence copies are cheap in comparison the cost of shipping often exceeds the value of the books so few are going to buy in. Mostly though most still consider them reprints and, hypocritically, reprints are still less desirable ... in some cases.
0 link

Comic Book Store Locator

Don't let this happen to you. Try our new Comic Book Shop Locator service today!

CPG Comic Book Store Locator

CPG Partners

Our partners help make CPG possible.
We couldn't do it without them!

Become a Partner Today
Warning: Your Internet Explorer is outdated and unsafe. This site features advanced technology that works best on modern web browsers. It's free to upgrade.
Warning: CPG works best with Javascript enabled. Some site features may be unavailable.