Profile Picture

Sparkle City Comics Portfolio

Posted By Universal Soldiers 6 Years Ago
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Legend

Forum Legend (6,321 reputation)Forum Legend (6,321 reputation)Forum Legend (6,321 reputation)Forum Legend (6,321 reputation)Forum Legend (6,321 reputation)Forum Legend (6,321 reputation)Forum Legend (6,321 reputation)Forum Legend (6,321 reputation)Forum Legend (6,321 reputation)Forum Legend (6,321 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago

A Special Heads Up To Our Preferred Clients from Paul Howley!

Jay Maybruck, the founder of Sparkle City Comics, will be appearing on the Metropolis Radio show on May 7. You can get to his radio interview through:
http://www.Comiczoneradio.com

In this show Jay will address any and all issues including the acts he
committed at the end of his career.

Jay is in the last stages of his life. Extremely optimistic projections are maybe 1-2 years.

To commemorate Sparkle City an exclusive never to be reprinted Commemorative Portfolio, 200 individually unique and numbered collectors items, will be offered for sale on my eBay site

(Seller name: paulmal or you can do an eBay search for Sparkle City Comics Portfolio)
after the shows conclusion.

Obviously the earliest Portfolios (the first 50 or so) will have the highest value. To give our customers a heads up on these unique historical items we are including an attachment describing this product.

This will be a very interesting lot of historic comic book items! Back in the 1970’s and 1980’s, there was a comic book dealer, Jay Maybruck, who called his business
“Sparkle City Comics.” Within a short time he became the leading comic book dealer in the United States, offering the largest selection of vintage comic books from the golden-age to the silver-age. I spent a few years working with the owner of Sparkle City Comics in the mid-late 1970s and I travelled around the country buying and selling copies of almost every comic book that was ever published. Together, we revolutionized the comic book industry, changing it forever by creating the first professional display booths at nearly all of the important comic book conventions around the nation and offering the best customer service in the industry. Sparkle City Comics was loved by the comic book collectors and hated by the competition. Sparkle City dominated the convention and mail order business for over fifteen years!

In 1978 Sparkle City Comics published “The Investors Newsletter,” a periodic newsletter giving investment advice for the world of comic books. I left Sparkle City for personal reasons and the original owner, teamed up with another knowledgeable comic book collector, and continued in the business for many years. Now, many years later, the original owner of Sparkle City Comics, as he faces his own mortality, is offering rare pieces of comic book industry history as part of this Sparkle City Comics Memorabilia Portfolio! Each portfolio is individually numbered and comes with a “certificate of authenticity.” The portfolios contain nicely reprinted editions of some of the comic book hobby’s most hard-to-find comic books:

Blood Is The Harvest
(originally published in 1950 by The Catechetical Guild),
The Red Iceberg
(originally published in 1960 by The Catechetical Guild),
How Stalin Hopes We Will Destroy America
(originally published in 1951 by Joe Lowe Co.), and
If The Devil Would Talk
(originally published in 1950 by The Catechetical Guild).

Each portfolio will also contain a brief history of Sparkle City Comics outlining the formation of this industry-changing company. As a historic and collectible extra, each of the first 40 portfolios will contain an exclusive assortment of “behind-the-scenes” stories of significant comic book industry purchases and events and Sparkle City’s involvement. Some of these exclusive stories will be humorous, some will be revealing, and a few will deal with very personal material relating to Sparkle City’s founder, Jay Maybruck. These exclusive stories will be only available in these first 40 portfolios!

The first 100 of these portfolios will contain new printings of the first twelve issues of
The Investors Newsletter! These newsletters will never again be reprinted! The first 20 of these portfolios will also each contain an original, vintage, hand-drawn, piece of “Sheep Art” that was actually used by Sparkle City Comics in their recognizable and famous “sheep-tastic” advertisements! As if this wasn’t enough, the first 20 of these very limited portfolios will contain some very unique historic comic-related item.

-Paul Howley

I's sure someone would find these of interest. This is from an email from my LCS.

eBay link: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Sparkle+City+Comics+Portfolio&category0=

Speedy-D
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Our newest newby...

Our newest newby... (6,772 reputation)Our newest newby... (6,772 reputation)Our newest newby... (6,772 reputation)Our newest newby... (6,772 reputation)Our newest newby... (6,772 reputation)Our newest newby... (6,772 reputation)Our newest newby... (6,772 reputation)Our newest newby... (6,772 reputation)Our newest newby... (6,772 reputation)Our newest newby... (6,772 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Is / was Sparkle City Comics really the big deal they're making it out to be?

-------------
what do I got? see for yourself: http://www.comicspriceguide.com/world/default.asp?m=Speedy-D
Thanks to Kree_boy411 I've discovered the Comic Book Realm

kamboy
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Master Collector

Master Collector (1,386 reputation)Master Collector (1,386 reputation)Master Collector (1,386 reputation)Master Collector (1,386 reputation)Master Collector (1,386 reputation)Master Collector (1,386 reputation)Master Collector (1,386 reputation)Master Collector (1,386 reputation)Master Collector (1,386 reputation)Master Collector (1,386 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
sparkle city was a big outfit when i started selling/buying stuff ..i met jay i think back in 93?maybe in 94? i did a big deal with him(i thought so) he is a real nice guy,he got me trade stuff i really didn't want to let go....some det in the 60-80 range action double digit #s

he flew to hawaii to me so i guess he had a good time and made some $$$

darkstorm
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Enthusiast

Enthusiast (64 reputation)Enthusiast (64 reputation)Enthusiast (64 reputation)Enthusiast (64 reputation)Enthusiast (64 reputation)Enthusiast (64 reputation)Enthusiast (64 reputation)Enthusiast (64 reputation)Enthusiast (64 reputation)Enthusiast (64 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
If anyone knows how to get in touch with or has information on Jay Maybruck, I would like to hear from you.  I used to work for him at the original Sparkle City in Glassboro N.J., with Joe & the rest of the crazy crew...  My "E" is darkstorm3428@yahoo.com

Reading This Topic