Profile Picture

Suggestions from fellow collectors!

Posted By dmroberts123 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Serious Collector

Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum! Quick background, I grew up reading a lot of my brother's comic collection (stuff during the late 80s, early 90s) and later on started collecting my own. I was strictly Marvel for a long time and later got into DC a bit and more adult stuff such as Preacher.

Lately tho, I've just been dying to get my hands on Marvel comics from 70s, 80s, and early 90s (no later than 1994). I honestly think that's when comics were best; the art and the storylines were just great. I'd love to see art like that still! So my question for y'all is:

Can you guys recommend me any key or really good issues/story arcs by Marvel during those 2 1/2 decades? I've recently got Frank Miller's 4-part Wolverine series, ASM#252, Uncanny#266 (first Gambit). Please don't hold back on your suggestions!

(Would love to see how Storm got that mohawk!)

Thanks in advance guys!

DeadOne
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (21.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (21.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (21.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (21.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (21.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (21.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (21.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (21.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (21.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (21.9K reputation)

Last Active: 47 minutes ago
I really enjoyed the series Rom: Spaceknight and Alpha Flight during those time periods (early - mid 80's). No real keys to speak of in those series, but the writing was excellent.

"In my time nightmares walked among us... walked and danced. Skewering victims in plain sight. Laying their fears and worst desires out for everyone to see, just to make us laugh. And now nightmares are trapped inside the heads of humans. Pitiful echoes of themselves. I wonder whom they angered so to merit such a fate."

pmadreenter
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (57.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.6K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
Frank Miller's run on Daredevil (app. 155 - 190) was real popular, UXM had a story arc revolving around Phoenix/Dark Phoenix that apparently was important to a lot of people (around #s 130-140, iirc)... um... let's see... My favorite books from the 70s were Man-Thing, Doctor Strange and Howard The Duck...

"You're the one that got out the damn saran-wrap and the rubber cement and the... duct-taping their hands to the table? You told me that was COOL!"

"Punching apes in the face since 2011"
oxbladder
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Walt Simonson's Thor run, Michelinie's ASM run, Man-Thing, The Invaders, the first few issues where Rogue joins the X-Men the first 20 issues of New Mutants, Spider-woman, and Dazzler come to mind

-------

My Website

http://www.oxbladder.com/images/lots-of-bunnies.gif
Edited
2 Years Ago by oxbladder
sclingerman
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
You guys know what would be a good "sticky" post is "Key Story Lines / Must Reads".
Things that really really made an impact on the M or DC Universe, and some independent publishers too.
The Phoenix Saga, Crisis On Infinite Earths, Final Crisis, Daredevil with Elektra, Secret Wars 1, Watchmen, Death of Superman / Doomsday, Parallax, etc.
Oooo! Oooo! Maybe we could list a bunch, and have a member vote, and make the list from that!
Then we can point people to "The List".

IF this hasn't already been done.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oh please, you couldn't even turn into Bill Bixby.
XcasperX
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Icon titles are sweet.

I really enjoyed THUNDERBOLTS issues 104-150 (Civil war Arcs and such).

Green Lantern's multiple series have been great.

The Walking Dead is a must read.

Zenescope has been kicking ass also with its comics.

-XcX-

"Midnighter to Stormwatch, I've just punched a cat."

Opinions and observations by any Administrator/Moderator may not reflect the views of ComicsPriceGuide.com, its staff or ownership.

thatjerk
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
4192 Legacy Posts

4192 Legacy Posts (8.6K reputation)4192 Legacy Posts (8.6K reputation)4192 Legacy Posts (8.6K reputation)4192 Legacy Posts (8.6K reputation)4192 Legacy Posts (8.6K reputation)4192 Legacy Posts (8.6K reputation)4192 Legacy Posts (8.6K reputation)4192 Legacy Posts (8.6K reputation)4192 Legacy Posts (8.6K reputation)4192 Legacy Posts (8.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
DeadOne (4/29/2012)
I really enjoyed the series Rom: Spaceknight and Alpha Flight during those time periods (early - mid 80's). No real keys to speak of in those series, but the writing was excellent.

Rom kind of loses steam around the mid-20s, and after 50 becomes almost unreadable. But the first 20 issues are really good. I also think the first 14 issues of Micronauts holds up really well and Golden's art was fantastic.

I also really enjoyed Bruce Jones and Brent Anderson's run on Ka-zar the Savage (volume 3, technically) up to about issue 25.

Steve Gerber's run on the Defenders is a pretty good read.

While it's hit and miss for much of the run, there is also some really good stuff (and art) in the first Moon Knight series.

The first couple of years or so of John Byrne's Fantastic Four run is very enjoyable as well.

Aaron

XcasperX
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
thatjerk (5/2/2012)
Steve Gerber's run on the Defenders is a pretty good read.

I loved Gerber's run on Howard the Duck.

-XcX-

"Midnighter to Stormwatch, I've just punched a cat."

Opinions and observations by any Administrator/Moderator may not reflect the views of ComicsPriceGuide.com, its staff or ownership.

dmroberts123
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Serious Collector

Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)Serious Collector (252 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
These are great suggestions! Keep it up if y'all have more suggestions!
Robbie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (48.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (48.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (48.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (48.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (48.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (48.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (48.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (48.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (48.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (48.3K reputation)

Last Active: 5 minutes ago
92? ouch Blush

X-Men #94 not 92... Laugh

That's the new team's 2nd app. 1st is Giant-Sized X-Men #1.

It sure is fun to read a giant chunk of X-Men, you have to feel a bit sorry for the kids who had to wait 30 days between issues. I think the Claremont run is good well past #300.

oh, & welcome. Smile

Reading This Topic