Profile Picture

DC 52 variants

Posted By Meldizzle 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Legendary Collector

Legendary Collector (7.7K reputation)Legendary Collector (7.7K reputation)Legendary Collector (7.7K reputation)Legendary Collector (7.7K reputation)Legendary Collector (7.7K reputation)Legendary Collector (7.7K reputation)Legendary Collector (7.7K reputation)Legendary Collector (7.7K reputation)Legendary Collector (7.7K reputation)Legendary Collector (7.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Hey guys with the new JLA out I was just curious what you guys think of collecting variant covers, I know at some time it becomes a pain in the but, but long term do you think it will be worth it????  I am debating on if I wanna drop the 125 bucks on the variant cover for the 52's.  I wasnt thinking all 52 just the normal JLA,Batman,superman ,action and detective ,lanter the main titles, need some help thanks all
kingcom99
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Legend

Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Meldizzle (9/2/2011)
Hey guys with the new JLA out I was just curious what you guys think of collecting variant covers, I know at some time it becomes a pain in the but, but long term do you think it will be worth it????  I am debating on if I wanna drop the 125 bucks on the variant cover for the 52's.  I wasnt thinking all 52 just the normal JLA,Batman,superman ,action and detective ,lanter the main titles, need some help thanks all

$125 for all the Variants?  I picked up the 1:25 and 1:20 variants for JLA and flashpoint #5 but haven't been able to get the 1:200 yet.  I think they will be worth it if you get them now.  I think waiting a year from now might be a little more expensive, especially on the 1:200 variants. 

Ringfinger
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Feh, no way!
oxbladder
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Worth it in what way? Investment? No it is no more an investment than most moderns. If you like the art buy them. If you want to make money off them the best money will be off the the short term when they are the hottest they will be. Other than that they will be LONG term holds as the price will fall and if the title drops off the maps the variant price will likely go with it. Also remember that virtually all of the copies out there are high grade so having a high grade variant of a current book is no big achievement.

I buy the odd variant if I like the cover other than that I ignore 99.9% of them. If I miss one that I want I will seek it out when the prices are rock bottom (like a few months later)

-------

My Website

http://www.oxbladder.com/images/lots-of-bunnies.gif
head-rush
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (14.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.0K reputation)

Last Active: 21 minutes ago
I bought a few of the "cheap" variants but I didn't feel that the expensive 1 in 100 or 1 in 200 variants were worth the big bucks to buy as I think they will not hold much value in years to come. I just can't see paying that much for a just released modern book on a chance that it will hold its value. I also don't see many or any of these "52" new releases becoming really hot books to make any money off of in the future, if that is your thinking or why some people buy these issues, good luck, but that is just what I think.

Ox, as always has great points on this and hits the nail on the head.

dregan
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Elite Collector

Elite Collector (954 reputation)Elite Collector (954 reputation)Elite Collector (954 reputation)Elite Collector (954 reputation)Elite Collector (954 reputation)Elite Collector (954 reputation)Elite Collector (954 reputation)Elite Collector (954 reputation)Elite Collector (954 reputation)Elite Collector (954 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Just my take on it, there are obviously multiple schools of thought.  The only potential way to add significant value to your collection (of large run comics by DC, Marvel, etc.) is through variants.  Back 1938 when AC #1 was fist produced most people didn't see the potential of comic collectables, so despite a 200,000 first printing, most people didn't take good care of their comics or tossed them, so today you have only a few (sometimes just pages) of the comic floating around, and that rarity adds significant value.  Now days comic issues are produced in the millions per month and everyone wants to be a collector or "rare and valuable comic" salesman, so more comics are well taken care of and on the market which keeps values down.. hence the widespread use and collection of variants to differentiate collections and allow them to hold value... a cover with only 1800 produced is going to be more valuable than a cover with 2,000,000 produced.  As for the "New 52" variants, they are only making them for Justice League, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, and Action Comics, of which I have #1 1:200 variants of JL, have on order #2 1:200 JL, #1 & 2 1:200 variants of Batman and Action Comics, and the 1:25 variants of Green Lantern #1 & 2.

There is no guarantee that the value will go up in the near or long term because at the end of the day the value is only as much as someone is willing to pay for it.  To you a JL Vol 2 Issue 1 gem mint might be worth $375 Raw, but to someone else it might only be worth $20.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTB Grimm Fairy Tales Presents Robyn Hood #5 CS Moore Exclusive Limited to 30
Edited
3 Years Ago by dregan
oxbladder
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (78.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
dregan (9/3/2011)
Just my take on it, there are obviously multiple schools of thought.  The only potential way to add significant value to your collection (of large run comics by DC, Marvel, etc.) is through variants.  Back 1938 when AC #1 was fist produced most people didn't see the potential of comic collectables, so despite a 200,000 first printing, most people didn't take good care of their comics or tossed them, so today you have only a few (sometimes just pages) of the comic floating around, and that rarity adds significant value.  Now days comic issues are produced in the millions per month and everyone wants to be a collector or "rare and valuable comic" salesman, so more comics are well taken care of and on the market which keeps values down.. hence the widespread use and collection of variants to differentiate collections and allow them to hold value... a cover with only 1800 produced is going to be more valuable than a cover with 2,000,000 produced.  As for the "New 52" variants, they are only making them for Justice League, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, and Action Comics, of which I have #1 1:200 variants of JL, have on order #2 1:200 JL, #1 & 2 1:200 variants of Batman and Action Comics, and the 1:25 variants of Green Lantern #1 & 2.

There is no guarantee that the value will go up in the near or long term because at the end of the day the value is only as much as someone is willing to pay for it.  To you a JL Vol 2 Issue 1 gem mint might be worth $375 Raw, but to someone else it might only be worth $20.

Milions per month? Since when? Nowadays it is a good month if you print/sell over 100K. A variant now does not have the same potential now nor does it have the same potential as older variants (pre-1990). Most variants produced today only increase for a few months around initial release. Most people don't pay cover for them eiither so that is the #1 way they increase in value right away. As well, variants are not produced by publishers to help out the value of collectors collections. They know that there are collectors that collect variants and there are also many collectors that are completionists both of which will buy these variants (the completionist will be compelled to buy ALL the variants and the regular issue) and push issue sales up. If you think that the publishers are doing it out of the kindness of their hearts then you truly do not look at publishing numbers. (BTW the publishers are not making more on the variants themselves they only make more money because the make the condition that stores have to buy more to get the variants. It is the dealers that charge more for the variants (and most rightfully so).)

-------

My Website

http://www.oxbladder.com/images/lots-of-bunnies.gif
Edited
3 Years Ago by oxbladder
Jetfire426
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Star

Forum Star (4.1K reputation)Forum Star (4.1K reputation)Forum Star (4.1K reputation)Forum Star (4.1K reputation)Forum Star (4.1K reputation)Forum Star (4.1K reputation)Forum Star (4.1K reputation)Forum Star (4.1K reputation)Forum Star (4.1K reputation)Forum Star (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Months Ago
my 2 cents on variant is, the best way to get variant comics and cheap ones at that are conventions, so may agree and some not, but when i was up at chicago comic con last month, so many dealers had boxes and boxes of variants for 5 boxes, some of which i paid 14.99 for from the comic store, i paid 50 bucks for the michael turner variant xmen 500 for 50 bucks, at this past chicago convention people where selling it for 30, so i will wait for the conventions to get variants now..
Ringfinger
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.9K reputation)

They are like $125 on DCBS.  No thanks!
Kamak
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Serious Collector

Serious Collector (321 reputation)Serious Collector (321 reputation)Serious Collector (321 reputation)Serious Collector (321 reputation)Serious Collector (321 reputation)Serious Collector (321 reputation)Serious Collector (321 reputation)Serious Collector (321 reputation)Serious Collector (321 reputation)Serious Collector (321 reputation)

Variants on the new 52, especially names that are landmarks in the comic book world will hold their value and increase. I have yet to see a decrease in value of an original appearance of say Batman or Green Lantern and I feel that the same will hold true on the 1:200 & 1:100 variants not so much on the lower run variants.

Reading This Topic