Profile Picture

image comics worth collecting?

Posted By dragonfire694 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
maybe this topic has been hashed before but i wanted to see what some people thought regards to collecting past image issues or if they just tossed them? when image first came out spawn, youngblood, gen 13, wetworks and several other titles came out. i now find them frequently in the quarter bin. then i started to see witchblade, darkness, aphrodite xi, ascension,tenth, and spirit of the tao. the art was off the wall and i wanted more. what bothers me is the issues have never seen any real value gain and i am in a slump as to why?
now we have morning glories, walking dead, chew, and some other off tales printed by image oddly these issues have seen decent value increases although in my opinion the art is second rate. not saying the tales are bad since i do like the walking dead tv series which was based on the book. what i am saying is visually it's not as captivating as turner or tan or finch and batt type artwork. silvestri's art was cool even mcfarlane's art was awesome so what is it?
Crispy Duck
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (22.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (22.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (22.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (22.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (22.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (22.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (22.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (22.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (22.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (22.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
dragonfire694 (6/29/2011)
what bothers me is the issues have never seen any real value gain and i am in a slump as to why?

Massive print runs. Everyone has early 90s Image titles, and most are in excellent condition.

Thus, as collectables, their value is equivalent to anything that is plentiful and in low demand.

I got rid of all those titles ages ago; Youngblood, Wildcats, Spawn - valueless without hope of long-term gain because the vast number of issues out there are bagged, boarded and well cared for, and that isn't likely to change any time soon. On top of the fact that there are lots of them in top shape, no one reads them.

pmadreenter
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (57.2K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.2K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.2K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.2K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.2K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.2K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.2K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.2K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.2K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (57.2K reputation)

Group: Moderators
If you enjoy reading them, buy them and read them and collect them and have them and work on complete runs of the titles you enjoy.

Books like Walking Dead, Chew, Morning Glories, that develop some monetary value after being published are a very uncommon occurrence, I'd say more than 99 % of the comics being published at this time have no prospect for short-term gains in value.

If you want to read comics because you enjoy comics, just go with what you like.

If you want to feel like you're putting together a collection that's "worth something," your best bet is Silver Age or Golden Age books... though you're welcome to keep an eye on market trends in the modern titles as well...

"de los mulas... soy su padre!"

"You're the one that got out the damn saran-wrap and the rubber cement and the... duct-taping their hands to the table? You told me that was COOL!"

"Punching apes in the face since 2011"
The Jerr
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Forum Legend

Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)Forum Legend (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Image comics is only worth collecting if you like/love the stories, and that is what you are going to get. To me Image has alot of good quality stories out there. You just have find what you like! Early Image titles are really not worth to much, so if you are looking for investment then you shouldn't get any modern era comics.

IMO Image quality in stories are better than the big 2 in recent years, and to me are worth it because they are good reads. Like pmadreenter said "If you want to feel like you're putting together a collection that's "worth something," your best bet is Silver Age or Golden Age books"

Though if their is any speculation on what will be worth something concerning Image titles they are (IMO), Walking Dead #1, Invincible #1, Chew #1 are probably the ones to invest.

With the modern era, it is to unpredictable to know whats going to be worth something in the future so just get what you like with modern era comics. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

azxc
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (14.8K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.8K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.8K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.8K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.8K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.8K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.8K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.8K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.8K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Months Ago
If you enjoy reading them then keep them. There is nothing wrong with them just because they're not worth much. And also you have to look at some titles from other publishers and wonder what might happen in the future. 

Early Valiant titles got a big price bump after been in dollar bins for years.

Comico comics were also in quarter bins for years, now high grade issues of 2 & 5 are getting into the hundreds.

Just my 2 cents.

wpbooks
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (11.9K reputation)

Only Image run I ever held onto was 1963 by Alan Moore et. al.  There are probably tons of them around, but if you love Silver Age Marvel, this series hits the nail on the head.  I'd eventually like to get the run bound in hardcover as I don't figure we'll be seeing Image doing it anytime soon, and I keep holding out for that long promised Annual that was supposed to complete the series.

My 2 cents as well.

WESTPORTALBOOKS ARE SQUINKY BOOKS!

http://www.abebooks.com/2945227/sf
dragonfire694
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.0K reputation)

i really haven't collected for value as much as i have for story and content. i enjoy certain titles as well as art. i know i have put up alot of high dollar issues on my own collection in back issues just for me it's not always value as it is quality of the story. i collect titles such as teen titans as well as supergirl. my interest in issues from image is that of the stories produced in the 90's has better quality art then that of current printings and i am confused as to why such titles like chew or even walking dead are so popular. i think when zombie comics were produced as of recent there were by far better issues with superior art. just my own opinion. certainly i am not knocking anybody's opinions of their like or dislike just for these outrages prices throws me.
i loved darkness and even spirit of the tao the art was off the wall. magdelana was a killer title that is hard to come by in my own area. yet the price of these issues remains low even though hard to find.  i appreciate the opinions though cause it does help me understand a little better.
DangurXtreme
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (10.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (10.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (10.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (10.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (10.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (10.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (10.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (10.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (10.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (10.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I collect Spawn and Witch blade.   Some of the rare ones have some value.  I love the stories, so to me, they have value and will have them till I die.  Satisfied

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii284/dangurxtreme/TRUST_OS_Button.jpg
oxbladder
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (77.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (77.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (77.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (77.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (77.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (77.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (77.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (77.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (77.6K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (77.6K reputation)

Ultimately it is writing and not art that keeps and attracts more people to a book. That and book value. Pretty art is easy to come by but if the story writing is vapid people just don't care unless the books are worth something. I look at some of the art from that 90's Image era now and wonder what i ever saw in it. Not that it is bad but it is not anything special either. Nowadays I like a very wide range of styles and many of which some would call crude or ugly but I feel perfectly match the style of the writing like Eric Negoyan or Nick Stakal on Strange Girl, for example. I would love to have OA from that series.

I guess it is much like finding that perfect woman for you. Pretty is common but if the personality sucks she isn't worth the effort. You may end out with a Plain Jane (or worse in some peoples eyes) but to you she is the most perfect woman because her personality is exceptional.

-------

My Website

http://www.oxbladder.com/images/lots-of-bunnies.gif
Ringfinger
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (17.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (17.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Bad reading anyhow.

Reading This Topic