Profile Picture

A few grading questions, difference between stress line and crease...

Posted By Wilson 3d 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

A few grading questions, difference between stress line and crease...

Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Elite Collector

Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hey there,

I was going through the Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide and making a list of some of the defects from 10.0 down to 6.0 for certain areas like spine stress creases and corners. It seems like a nice way to actually start to notice the difference in each grade. Of course some things also got a little more confusing to me...

I am trying to figure out the difference between a Crease and a Stress Line. In the glossary it has the following.

Crease - A fold which causes ink removal, usually resulting in a while line.

Stress Line - Light tiny wrinkles occurring along the spine, projecting from staples or appearing anywhere on the cover of a comic book.

So it a stress line when you just have the dent along the spine where it was bent and a crease is anywhere ink is removed from from a bend or something? (It actually is seeming more clear now that I am writing this)Smile

I really want to know what the most common name for the bend and white line creases in the spine are.

It also made it a little more confusing because for comics that are 9.6 the book lists under Stress Lines - Non Allowed. But then under the pics/examples of 9.6 it has arrows pointing to defects and says "minor stress line". I think this is just a miss-print? I am sure there are places that they use different terms for the exact same defect. Must of just been what that particular person calls the defect.

Thanks a lot for any info. I am just trying to get some clarification so I can continue to get better at this.

www.chrismyers3d.com
pmadreenter
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (56.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (56.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (56.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (56.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (56.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (56.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (56.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (56.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (56.7K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (56.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
"Crease" and "wrinkle" are synonymous, so:

Wilson 3d (6/5/2011)

Crease - A fold which causes ink removal, usually resulting in a white line.

Stress Line - Light tiny creases occurring along the spine, projecting from staples or appearing anywhere on the cover of a comic book.

and

Wilson 3d (6/5/2011)

a crease is anywhere where the color is broken from a bend, causing a white line.

That should explain 'stress lines" and add the useful phrase "color broken" ("breaking color", "not breaking color", etc etc... ) to your vocabulary.

For your question about the 9.6 example in the O Guide... I got nothing.

"de los mulas... soy su padre!"

"You're the one that got out the damn saran-wrap and the rubber cement and the... duct-taping their hands to the table? You told me that was COOL!"

"Punching apes in the face since 2011"
Shadow
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Administrator...You betcha, by golly!

Administrator...You betcha, by golly! (44.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Stress lines are almost always on the spine...

They usually are caused by opening the cover and  usually by the staples.

In the old days...when comics were kept in spinner racks...people would rifle through the batches in each pocket by pulling the tops forward and letting them snap back one at a time...thus showing you every title in the pocket. This often resulted in stress lines 1/3 of the way down the spine...at about where the wire rack hit on the comic...

Stress lines can be slight...barely visible until you hold the comic at an angle...
Or they can be moderate to heavy...where they break the color surface and cause a white line.
And everything inbetween.

Creases are usually found straight down the middle of the book, length-wise...These are caused by the postal service folding them in half to fit in mail boxes...often called a "subscription crease"...and I've seen these in every degree imaginable...

Or corner creases...caused by unintentional (or even intentional) dog-earing of the cover or pages. These can be right at the corners...or quite a way in...depending on the incident that cause the fold. They can be just on the cover...or through the whole book. And these can also be in every degree imaginable...

I'm sure there are som industrious members who can supply example scans...BigGrin

Or you can grab yourself a copy of Overstreet's illustrated grading guide...Wink...available at your finer comic shops and bookstores...

Shadow...CPG Administrator (since 2003)
http://www.facebook.com/CPG.shadow?ref=tn_tnmn

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/boards/Uploads/Images/04a3dfe3-4c6f-44f4-99d7-7a56.gif

Dedicated to the memory of Bill Johnson (wrjwrj)....comics were his friends...BigGrin
Wilson 3d
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Elite Collector

Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)Elite Collector (951 reputation)

Thanks a lot you guys!

Shadow, I think the book I am using is the illustrated one. Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide has tons of pics but they are kinda small. I wish they made the book twice as big and just charges twice as much so I could see it better.

Thanks for the detailed explanations! I think I was heading in the right directions but am really glad to have the difference clarified.

www.chrismyers3d.com
sclingerman
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (14.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.9K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (14.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Here's three thousand words (plus some extra).

Spine crease:

http://www.e-bigs.net/pics/spinecreases/35.jpg
See how the color is broken, and you see the white?
(This is some serious creasing here too. There's a lot of 'em.)

Spine Stress:
http://www.e-bigs.net/pics/spinestress/92.jpg
See how it looks more like just a "pinch" or "dent" or "bend" that did not really break the color? Just a little stress on the spine.
There are two of them here.
I see 1 or 2 spine stresses on brand-spanking new comics.

Subscription Crease:
http://www.e-bigs.net/pics/subcrease/55.jpg
That vertical line, just to the right of center, on the right of the "N" in "IRON".
Very bad for the comic.

Read what the others wrote here, and compare with these pics.

Thanks to www.E-Bigs.net for the pics.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oh please, you couldn't even turn into Bill Bixby.
Wilson 3d
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Elite Collector

Cool! Thanks a lot sclingerman! Nothing like seeing examples to really make it clear.

www.chrismyers3d.com
spruce213
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
M. Vieux Bois

M. Vieux Bois (15.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.3K reputation)M. Vieux Bois (15.3K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 days ago
sclingerman (6/7/2011)
Here's three thousand words (plus some extra).

Spine crease:

http://www.e-bigs.net/pics/spinecreases/35.jpg
See how the color is broken, and you see the white?
(This is some serious creasing here too. There's a lot of 'em.)

Spine Stress:
http://www.e-bigs.net/pics/spinestress/92.jpg
See how it looks more like just a "pinch" or "dent" or "bend" that did not really break the color? Just a little stress on the spine.
There are two of them here.
I see 1 or 2 spine stresses on brand-spanking new comics.

Subscription Crease:
http://www.e-bigs.net/pics/subcrease/55.jpg
That vertical line, just to the right of center, on the right of the "N" in "IRON".
Very bad for the comic.

Read what the others wrote here, and compare with these pics.

Thanks to www.E-Bigs.net for the pics.

Someone should post full comic examples, like how an 8.0 looks or a comic with a subscription crease and what grade it would get if the comic was otherwise a 7.0. Just a thought.

Check out my comic blog. In my opinion, one of the best around. The Strange Tales of Johnny Spruce and His Comic Blog. You know you'll love it!

Reading This Topic